Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 06:37 AM

Default Re: ZOMG - Gramps Only Took 3.75 Years to Make 1600 Posts!

[ QUOTE ]
Grats on Pooh-Bah, your post are always insightful. When I realized how successful a sng player you were a couple of months ago I spent some time reading through some of your older posts.

[ QUOTE ]
Gramps, besides the ability to handle soul-crushing variance, what do you think separates you from other sng players?

[/ QUOTE ]
This might save some typing for Gramps [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, that was better than my pooh-bah post, I should have just linked that! I was pretty late to the game learning SNGPT, and one way I was able to discover some nuances was experiencing a seemingly odd/bad play from Joey or Newt and plugging it into SNGPT and usually learning something new.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1500)
UTG+1 (t1500)
MP1 (t1500)
MP2 (t1500)
MP3 (t1500)
CO (t1500)
Hero (t1500)
SB (t1500)
BB (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is in Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="red">UTG raises to t40</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, MP3 calls t40, <font color="red">CO raises to t140</font>, Hero calls t140, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>, UTG calls t100, MP3 calls t100

Flop: (t590) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (4 players)
<font color="red">UTG bets t140</font>, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, CO calls t140, Hero calls t140

Turn: (t1010) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players)
<font color="red">UTG bets t220</font>, CO calls t220, Hero calls t220

River: (t1670) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 players)
<font color="red">UTG bets t220</font>, CO calls t220, Hero?

$225 - first hand of tourney vs. 2 unknowns. Please comment on every street.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a SNG player, can you phrase in the form of a push/fold question? QQ is kind of an awkward one early, I think calling is fine, I'd probably do it against unknowns as well (knowing it's more likely they're foolio since I've prob. played against all the regulars/semi-regulars unless they're now on new account). Clearly call flop here, I think calling the Turn is fine too - flush/straight draws are drawing dead (unless royal flush) so you want them to hit and pay/stack on River. With a King, the only downside to calling Turn is if scare hits on River you may have to VBet less. If a King outdraws you on River for FH, you get away cheaper than if you raise/shove Turn. On River, yuck. One Queen in deck, I think you beat CO, I've seen enough stupid [censored] online where you have to give the random FOS factor (like UTG turning over A2 or something like that), but folding wouldn't be too bad. Player's privilege, whatever your heart desires.

I might call out of partial curiosity against total randoms - if you've ever watched Celebrity Poker, you know that some amateurs think that betting as little as 1/10 pot into two players on the River can constitute a "big bluff."
Old 11-02-2007, 06:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
gramps, do you have an aim name you could pm me so i could bug you with questions about things in the future. will repay answers with lap artist time at future sttf events.

thanks,
Velocity

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, just realize that I'm the anti-spacegravy when it comes to multitabling and AIM, if you catch me not playing I'll answer any Qs. PM is always a good option, I don't think I've ever not answered a strategy question there.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:57 AM

Congrats sir and point 5 is the nutz.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:06 AM

Congrats! I always appreciate your thoughts on the game and life in general.
In reference to #5. How hard is it to not completely go crazy playing the $555s+? The variance seems absurd. Basically I'm trying to ask is it worth playing these crazy buyins for potentially larger profits and bonuses or sometimes do you think it's "better" to just play the 114/225s.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:09 AM

Quality counts more than quantity and your 1600 posts are some of the highest quality stuff I've read (and mis-applied [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]) over the past several years.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1500)
UTG+1 (t1500)
MP1 (t1500)
MP2 (t1500)
MP3 (t1500)
CO (t1500)
Hero (t1500)
SB (t1500)
BB (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is in Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="red">UTG raises to t40</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, MP3 calls t40, <font color="red">CO raises to t140</font>, Hero calls t140, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>, UTG calls t100, MP3 calls t100

Flop: (t590) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (4 players)
<font color="red">UTG bets t140</font>, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, CO calls t140, Hero calls t140

Turn: (t1010) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players)
<font color="red">UTG bets t220</font>, CO calls t220, Hero calls t220

River: (t1670) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 players)
<font color="red">UTG bets t220</font>, CO calls t220, Hero?

$225 - first hand of tourney vs. 2 unknowns. Please comment on every street.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a SNG player, can you phrase in the form of a push/fold question? QQ is kind of an awkward one early, I think calling is fine, I'd probably do it against unknowns as well (knowing it's more likely they're foolio since I've prob. played against all the regulars/semi-regulars unless they're now on new account). Clearly call flop here, I think calling the Turn is fine too - flush/straight draws are drawing dead (unless royal flush) so you want them to hit and pay/stack on River. With a King, the only downside to calling Turn is if scare hits on River you may have to VBet less. If a King outdraws you on River for FH, you get away cheaper than if you raise/shove Turn. On River, yuck. One Queen in deck, I think you beat CO, I've seen enough stupid [censored] online where you have to give the random FOS factor (like UTG turning over A2 or something like that), but folding wouldn't be too bad. Player's privilege, whatever your heart desires.

I might call out of partial curiosity against total randoms - if you've ever watched Celebrity Poker, you know that some amateurs think that betting as little as 1/10 pot into two players on the River can constitute a "big bluff."

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow I really thought I butchered that one. I folded river. CO turns over AA as expected, UTG shows Q5o. Suzzer dies a little inside.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:21 AM

I'm repeating what JB said, your posts are *always* excellent, and I wish I would see more. Thanks for helping me out.

On a side note, what's your handicap? Do you gamble outside of poker? (no, these two questions are not related [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )
Old 11-02-2007, 10:59 AM

Gramps,
Since I'm not playing sngs anymore are there any leaks I have, which you are willing to tell me?
Old 11-02-2007, 01:07 PM

Congrats Pooh-Bah!