Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2006, 11:10 PM

Default OT- Monitor set up help required

Posting here cause I figure there's a lot more people browsing this forum than in Technical Help...and I post here mostly anyhow, so....

Just got a new computer with the Nvidia 6800 GForce card. Trying to run two Dell 21" monitors using an adapter for one of them (just like I did with my previous computer).

When I start up the computer, my 2nd monitor shows the Windows logo, etc. so I know it's hooked up right (it goes blank once Windows is started up). When I go to Display/Settings to enable the 2nd monitor icon, there's no 2nd monitor listed. I've tried the troubleshooting steps, downloaded all the Windows updates, etc. but still no 2nd monitor popping up.

Any ideas? Should I get another adapter? Anyone with similar issues that they worked out? Took me the purchase of an adapter and 2 minutes last time, didn't think there'd be any problems.

Signed,

A confused old man. (Why, in my day we didn't have all this technical goopily goop...)
Old 03-05-2006, 11:31 PM

Default Re: OT- Monitor set up help required

I dont actually have two monitors but I thought I would try to help. This post: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...o=2&fpart=1 in the Zoo I think has your answers.

9) I just installed my new video card and hooked up my second monitor, but the second screen goes black when I startup!

For WinXP, right-click on the Desktop and go to Properties. Click on the Settings tab and select the second monitor, then check the "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor."

If that doesnt work maybe you will find the answer somewhere else in the thread, or someone who actually knows will help ya out.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:40 PM

Yeah, once I click on Settings, there's no 2nd monitor icon listed. So obviously, there's something wrong there, which seems odd. Last time I did it, there was as 2nd monitor icon and the setup is easy. This time, when I start up my computer, I get the Windows logo, etc. on the 2nd monitor, so it's not like there's no connection at all. I'm positive my video card supports two monitors, so you'd think it would be good to go, but it's not. Seems like it's gotta be something else, but what that is, I'm not sure, hoping someone else who's had the same problem knows. I'll cross-post tomorrow if no one here has more suggestions.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:56 PM

do you have the latest drivers?
Old 03-06-2006, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

do you have the latest drivers?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-06-2006, 12:12 AM

Does running all the latest updates cover that, or is that something I have to download separately? I presume I find that somewhere on Microsoft's home page?
Old 03-06-2006, 12:18 AM

Under display, when you click on the drop down menu, is the second monitor there?
Old 03-06-2006, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does running all the latest updates cover that, or is that something I have to download separately? I presume I find that somewhere on Microsoft's home page?

[/ QUOTE ]
Try nvidea's web site. Its thier drivers not Microsofts.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:40 AM

I have weird things like this go on every once in a while. I will power down my computer and it will start up again with one of the screens black or with the settings messed up(wrong resolution, the taskbar on the wrong monitor, whatever.

I have always been able to work it out by disconnecting the cables for the secondary monitor, powering down, and powering up a few times with only one monitor selected, either one of my two. It seems my system resets funny sometimes, and powering on and off with a few minutes wait between the two matters. I often find I have to unplug the computer, too, to get it really starting from fresh and not with anything saved in any kind of memory state or whatever.

Anyway, sometimes this takes 20 minutes of screwing around and it never seems to work with quite the same cable shuffling twice, but you might try just brute forcing it like that with simple on and offs and starting from one monitor. It has worked for me many times.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:42 AM

Any idea which driver software to download for the 6800? It seems kinda unclear on Nvidia's site which driver download to use.