Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2007, 02:33 AM

Default Re: 50 BB Short Stack Strategy

[ QUOTE ]
You aren't short enough to push.

Not deep enough to play SC or PP for implied odds.

Seems like the worst of both worlds.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is.

It's the 50bb guys and the guys who buy in a little short who pay the bills for most of uNL and SSNL. By either giving it to us themselves or giving it to the nitfishes and the tagfishes and keep them afloat and then we take it from them.

You can play 20bb's. You can play 100bb+. But, you can't fake good 100bb poker by buying in for 50bb's.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:35 AM

I only know a bit about it from SNG strategy, but it would be best to shortstack against positionally aware LAG's than like looose passive fish no? Er, maybe not but I think I had a point before I typed this response.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:38 AM

DIAGF if youre even considering shortstacking. i will curse you and your children. i will also stack you repeatedly.

edit: totally grunched this thread out of sheer hatred for shortstackers
Old 11-27-2007, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
DIAGF if youre even considering shortstacking. i will curse you and your children. i will also stack you repeatedly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. Honestly, they don't bother me that much any more. Just use their stats to put them on a range and play PF and flops accordingly. They increase the variance of course, but most of them suck so it's worth it IMO.

Edit:
[ QUOTE ]

I only know a bit about it from SNG strategy, but it would be best to shortstack against positionally aware LAG's than like looose passive fish no? Er, maybe not but I think I had a point before I typed this response.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno man. I've only done it a few times when I needed to clear platinumstar at Stars. I don't think it's fundamentally any different than other poker - play with your opponents ranges in mind and make the plays that maximize your value w/ respect to your equity.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:50 AM

More so than-short-stacking, I find that 50-65BB is pretty hard to defend against if played well. They offer you thin implied odds and if they can fire a 3-bet, you are going to be defending against them with their effective stack in your chips. Plus they can still usually get in a multi-way limp/min-raise limp with a small pp or so and play for at least a little bit of set-value. Plus people think of them in the same vein as someone buying in for half as much and pretty much aggress on them in the same way, which is now significantly riskier.

I dunno, maybe it is just me but I think playing a 50 or 60BB stack plays much differently than standard short-stack strategy and can be very profitable with less variance than standard short-stacking, though I agree also that if you can you should play full buy-in.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:52 AM

i love playing medium stacks because they have enough behind them to give you fold equity and push them around