Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2007, 12:33 PM

Default Re: what should i do? get a new lcd screen after Thanksgiving or?

Why not just get the monitor, deposit on either Tilt or Stars, and then use Realtime (which works fine for both PokerStars and Full Tilt) until such time as you can get more advanced tools? In particular I would at least wait until PokerTracker3 comes out since that is apparently just around the bend and PAHUD will be integrated with it.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:46 PM

Just my opinion:

Poker tracker will ultimately generate a positive return on investment. As will PAHUD.

New monitor, no effect unless you do actually multi table with it. If you multi table it will probably be a negative return on investment.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not just get the monitor, deposit on either Tilt or Stars, and then use Realtime (which works fine for both PokerStars and Full Tilt) until such time as you can get more advanced tools? In particular I would at least wait until PokerTracker3 comes out since that is apparently just around the bend and PAHUD will be integrated with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought of just recommending gametime, but you know there's hardly anything left to make a worthwhile deposit. If anything I'd hold out for the monitor, not the software

Also I wasn't aware of PT3, thanks for that
Old 11-23-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think data mining micro-sngs will provide much benefit at all. The number of different players are huge and none will be very good.

Stick to basic SNG strategy and you should be able to crush these games. Fixing leaks in your game via PT will give much bigger gains than focusing on villain stats at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with this. It is actually more important if you have statistical overlay to see who is and isn't a complete maniac at the lowest levels. By mid/high-blind play you know a bit better who you can value-bet out of a lot and who you are more likely to be able to blind-steal from, et cetera.

Again, consider Realtime. While I think that PT/PAHUD/other poker-software does great things, I believe for those at the lowest stakes it is probably just as easy to use the free stat software, which should tell you most of what you need against opponents and the micro level as well as letting you see whether or not you are playing too many hands, if you are not aggressive enough, et cetera.

In general I wouldn't even suggest skimping on the better software if it weren't for the fact that all the best new software is just around the corner. In the meantime you would be able to do all the marginal stuff to improve your game that you could before moving up to the big-boy software.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought of just recommending gametime, but you know there's hardly anything left to make a worthwhile deposit. If anything I'd hold out for the monitor, not the software

[/ QUOTE ]

For that matter, I would even suggest leaving it all for deposit, using Realtime, and then playing like four tables max. But that is just me.

Also, if you don't mind CRT flatscreens, you can usually find great deals on places like Craigslist. I grabbed two great 21" flatscreen CRTs for a combined $30.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:09 AM

On that same topic..
would a 37 in hi def monitor to be overkill?
Old 11-26-2007, 03:56 AM

thanks for all the info! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]...

i had pt on an old pc (glad i did) ;p
i got sngwiz for free with the stoxpoker promotion ..another great investment...

and i ended up getting a new smoking hot 21" flat wide screen that is so much better then a 16" ctr screen lol...

ill be getting around to actually playing within then next couple of days...been studying a lot and watching some videos to help get my game sharpened to a science...the input here is really helping me out !

ty all!