Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-24-2007, 06:05 PM

Default AA all in

do u go all in with AA against 2 opponents no matter what?
Old 11-24-2007, 06:07 PM

Default Re: AA all in

stop making these stupid threads.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:16 PM

i meant pre-flop*** sry
Old 11-24-2007, 08:13 PM

Yes.

Assuming this is a cash game, then with any number of opponents you should be happy to go all-in preflop.

There are rare tournament conditions where you can make more money on average by folding AA than by playing multi-way, but they are very rare - and completely dependent on the payout structure and the number of players left. As an extreme example, let's say you are at a final table with $50 in chips, there are 4 players left, and the payout is $1200 for first, $550 for second, $250 for third, and nothing for fourth. Each of the other players has exactly $650. For some reason, all three other players get all-in before you have to act, and you have AA. If you fold, you are very likely to win $550 for second unless somebody in the hand chops the pot. Even if one player is knocked out and the other two chop, you still make $250 for third. But if you call, even against random hands, you are 40% to get nothing, and 60% to only increase your stack to $200 where you still have a good chance of taking 4th place and winning nothing.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:21 PM

No I don't think I'd go all in no matter what. If I am up against agressive but smart players they will understand I have a huge hand and prolly lay down. But if one of them catches on the flop I know they will prolly push and I can stack one of them like that instead of maybe getting a couple folds preflop.

IMO there is no "do X everytime" type of play. You have to look at the situation and make the play accordingly.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
do u go all in with AA against 2 opponents no matter what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Against bad players, the following might be a case of FPS (Fancy Play Syndrom).

However, against smart players that can get reads, especially smart players that take notes, Harrington, in HOH1, recommends that you randomize your play, that is, alternate both raise sizes, and raising or calling, with the same hand.

With AA, the reasoning is simple, yet profound: If you always raise with aces, "they'll know that when you call, you don't have aces". (Harrington on Hold 'em, Volume 1, page 53).

In the section of the book entitled "Pursuing a Balanced Strategy", Harrington dicusses both alternating raise sizes, and how to randomize rasies and calls.

For the record, I play $5 SNG, and I would only call with aces when trapping a very agressive player (see the previous post). I just finished a SNG with a guy who was raising preflop with almost half of his hands.

At that level, there aren't a lot of people getting reads or taking copious notes, in fact, a lot of the good online players are probably too busy multitabling to take a lot of notes--one of the reasons I don't like to mutitable, as I take detailed notes.

So yes, against an aggresive player that will do the betting for you, limp your aces and let him hang himself.

One more caveat--of course, if you limp and the board has obvious straight or flush draws, don't get cute, go ahead and take the pot down.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:31 AM

i interpreted the OP as asking whether you're willing to go all-in pre-flop with AA.... and basically yes, always in cash games unless it's your entire bankroll, in which case why are you playing??...... but not very optimal to just go initiate all-in pre-flop unless it's pretty short-stacked or the players are very bad.

would be long story, but i had intense pain with AA pre-flop in qualifier where 20 players qualify. doesn't matter 1-20. there are definitely situations where it doesn't make sense. in my intense painful moment though, i wasn't really "safe" for one of the 20 spots, so maybe it wasn't that big a deal.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:34 AM

If you have to call 2 allins with AA, then yes.

But dont push allin PF without gauging the other players first.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:51 AM

You can always make up a scenario where it may be best to fold AA pre-flop. However, what is the point you are trying to get at? Do you have AA a lot and don't know whether it is good pre flop ???
Old 11-25-2007, 09:43 AM

LOL, this was originally a PLO question, but it was phrased so badly that we shunted it on to the beginner's forum. It's funny seeing people try to answer it for hold'em though.