Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 09:54 PM

Default Re: on order cocktails at a bar or restaurant

A dry martini w/ a twist is about as "interesting" as I order on any sort of semi-regular basis. Unless I'm just looking to get massively [censored] faced. In that case, it's time for a few Irish car bombs.

There are a few places where the bartenders know me, and they'll occasionally use me as a taste-test guinea pig for whatever new concoction they're doing. I've had some amazingly freaky (good and bad) stuff that way.

When I'm looking to sit back and enjoy my alcohol, it's martinis, good single malt scotch (straight up, always), wine or beer. Simple is good.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
forgot to add, I love these drinks because they taste good.

[/ QUOTE ]

... and you're gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Might be getting leveled, but I really hate [censored] like this. Very frat boyish IMO.

Some of those drinks are [censored] delicious. Do you pass on certain restaurant dishes because STEAK is more manly? FWIW I can't drink much of them either due to how sweet/filling they are, but I'm not going to pretend that I wouldn't love to be able to get drunk off of Smirnoff Ice or something.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i usually stick to vodka soda twist, but half the bartenders of the world stick a wedge of lime in the glass. MFWTF.

when im feelin saucy its Pearl Coconut and Sprite FTW.

[/ QUOTE ]
Vodka soda>>>vodka tonic (if its a decent vodka). I usually just say 'vodka with soda', and grab a lemon wedge myself from the bar.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
forgot to add, I love these drinks because they taste good.

[/ QUOTE ]

... and you're gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Might be getting leveled, but I really hate [censored] like this. Very frat boyish IMO.

Some of those drinks are [censored] delicious. Do you pass on certain restaurant dishes because STEAK is more manly? FWIW I can't drink much of them either due to how sweet/filling they are, but I'm not going to pretend that I wouldn't love to be able to get drunk off of Smirnoff Ice or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are getting leveled. Boris being a [censored] has nothing to do with the fruity drinks he consumes.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:11 PM

I like ordering an amaretto sour. It tastes nice and is hard to mess up.

I also like ordering a Baileys on the rocks. This, also, is hard to mess up.

I think simple is better. Mixing drinks is like making a salad. A simple salad with lettuce, croutons, cheese and caesar dressing tastes good. But a salad with loads of ingredients, such as lettuce, croutons, cheese, tomatoes, M&Ms, chili peppers, o-toro sashimi, french onion soup, chocolate and angostura bitters will taste bad, even though the ingredients in isolation might be great.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:12 PM

bartenders dont care to make anything you order if it's not crowded.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:27 PM

Default Re: on ordering cocktails at a bar or restaurant

i rarely order complicated drinks. almost all are setting-specific, like a round of B-52s at a VFW post. there's just too much good beer available.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:58 PM

I generally don't drink anything with more than two ingredients. 98% of my drinking involves beer, bourbon on the rocks or g&t with a slice of lemon (I still get a lime 2/3 of the time). The most complicated drink I order with any regularity is a martini, which I like in and out, lightly shaken, up, with a twist. I'll only order this at a place I'm confident they'll understand. In general ordering needlessly complicated/obscure drinks annoys bartenders unless the place is dead and they have nothing to do.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:23 AM

Simple is good.

Martini, vodka or gin based, is about as complicated as I get. Though I do recall a long island ice tea that I ordered years ago that was not only excellent, I thought I was glowing. Anyway I also go with any Good single-malt scotch, neat or on the rocks.

Beer is good also, a Belgian Trappist Ale say (Chimay) or perhaps a bit lower on the scale with a colt-45 malt liquor or Old English 800 if you have to catch the m-train back to the barracks.

-Zeno
Old 10-31-2007, 12:31 AM

whoiam,

you also have that mexican drink. i think that has a bundle of ingredients in it.

i also like ouzo. that stuff is good.