Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-11-2007, 07:41 PM

Default bet sizes to maximize profits, and minimize losses (intresting)

I know this is a very general question, but does anyone have any in-depth theory on amounts to bet or raise when you have a good/ok hand. How do you chose a bet that asks your opponent how strong he is? I know the typical answer would be "it depends" which is very true, but if you could give a few situations maybe where you explain how you work out the right size bet. I believe this is one of the major skills involved to maximize profits and minimize losses and believe the way I'm doing it is inefficient. I simply make sure all the draws are paying bad pot odds to see the next card. How does pot size, and players in the pot determine your bet? How do you chose bet sizes on the flop that help you determine how strong your opponent is without scaring him off if you have a good hand? or if you are actually beat, how do you make sure you bet an efficient amount that will lose you minimum money if your behind for the situation?

One of the situations that is costing me the most money at the moment is having a hand like 6/7 and calling cheap to see the flop in mid/late position and hitting top pair, and sometimes even trips and lose to a better kicker, or laying it down because I don't know where I am in the hand. I feel when a flop comes something like 2/5/7 rainbow I have to bet (is this the correct thing to do against small players to the flop AND large amounts of players to the flop?), but When I bet I cant chose an amount that lets me know if he has me beat calling with a hand like 7/A or calling the bet with a hand like 3/4 with the straight draw.

Would really love to hear your opinions on this topic

Steve