Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2007, 04:02 PM

Default Re: The last big fight De La Hoya - Mayweather

Damn that fight was lame. Last time I pay to watch boxing. Do you guys really get excited watching PBF throw one punch and then run away like a little girl? MMA's got it all over boxing.

In the future, people aren't going to pay to watch two ferries dance around the ring when they can watch MMA and see someone almost get killed every other fight.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
mayweather is on his heels the entire fight and wins. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] boxing

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
obviously mayweather was much more efficient than dlh. he was also much less aggressive than dlh, and was retreating the entire match.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mayweather is a defensive counter-puncher. That's just how he fights. Aggression is one factor when scoring a fight, but it's a much smaller factor than clean punching.

Not exciting, but effective.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't care if he landed over 50 % in a round where he only throws 20 punches compared to 50-60 for the other guy who, though his % is lower, is still landing about the same amount. That's not winning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except DLH wasn't throwing 3x as many punches as PBF and landing the same amount. He was throwing about 30% more and landing half as many.

And while the judges don't have the exact numbers, it wasn't hard to tell that PBF was landing a lot more punches.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the future, people aren't going to pay to watch two ferries dance around the ring when they can watch MMA

[/ QUOTE ] So people would rather watch two huge guys with skin tight shorts on "grinding" against each others pelvis' on the ground?

Say what you want about this fight, but I'll take that over jujitsu and submission MMA guys any [censored] day of the year. I am really starting to get bored of MMA. The only real good fights I have seen lately have been from straight up sluggers (Liddell) or from guys that just like brawling (Bisping comes to mind). Man [censored] an arm bar!
Old 05-06-2007, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Mayweather really didn't look that impressive to me. Sure, he was great on defense making DLH not land anything real solid. But anemic on offense for most of the fight until DLH started to get tired. Which was almost too long to wait. I don't care if he landed over 50 % in a round where he only throws 20 punches compared to 50-60 for the other guy who, though his % is lower, is still landing about the same amount. That's not winning.

[/ QUOTE ]

from my vantage point, with the exception of 3 middle rounds mayweather's punches did a lot more damage than de la hoya's. on many occasions de la hoya would come in for a flurry and mayweather would jab him and cause him to stagger or delay his attack, then would follow iwth a right to push him back. in rounds 7 8 and 9, it seemed that de la hoya wouldn't let mayweather hit him with that jab as he came in, and would actually be able to land a few punches in his attacking flurries that seemed to ahve some effect.

i mean, you can lament mayweather's style in this match, but you cannot say that his punches were having no effect. if anything, it was de la hoya that was full of sound and fury that signified nothing.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:12 PM

Why do people always compare MMA to boxing? It's like comparing basketball to soccer.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't really care about the punch stats. They're nice, but unless things have changed, the judges don't see those stats so it's all up to visual. Even if you miss shots, being active still counts. The judges are also at different sides of the ring so some may see some shots differently than others.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really sure that professional judges sitting ringside can see tell when one fighter is landing double the shots of the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chuck Gyomba or whatever his name is cleary couldn't.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
obviously mayweather was much more efficient than dlh. he was also much less aggressive than dlh, and was retreating the entire match.

[/ QUOTE ]

To paraphrase a quote from Kellerman last night, "You don't win fights with ineffective flurries and crowd reaction."
Old 05-06-2007, 04:31 PM

Max is great.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Say what you want about this fight, but I'll take that over jujitsu and submission MMA guys any [censored] day of the year. I am really starting to get bored of MMA. The only real good fights I have seen lately have been from straight up sluggers (Liddell) or from guys that just like brawling (Bisping comes to mind). Man [censored] an arm bar!

[/ QUOTE ]

So you'd rather watch a fight where the guy who runs away all night wins? I had never seen PBF fight before last night and I was majorly disappointed. I can't believe that a guy who fought a totally defensive fight was able to retain his title. Oscar was the only one who pressed the action. If Oscar wouldn't have went after PBF, neither fighter would have ever landed a punch.

In MMA, you'll never see a fighter who runs the whole fight win a decision. MMA rewards aggressions and manliness, not prancing and dancing around like some kind of syncrhonized swimmer or something. Since Tyson left, boxing has just turned too effeminant.