Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is this a good idea or a bad idea?
Good 10 66.67%
Bad 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-2007, 09:39 AM

Default Re: **** OFFICIAL Premiership 2007-08 season Thread!*****

[ QUOTE ]
One thing that has struck me about the premier league...it seems like 90% of the teams wear either red or blue. Would it kill someone to wear green or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope Plymouth get promoted? It probably seems like less since all the teams that wear white are at the bottom of the table.

Whoever said there's not much difference between Keane and Berbatov is being ridiculous, Keane's not in Berbatov's league and it's not close, at least someone said Mpenza was a top 10 striker to divert attention from that crazy statement by making a sillier one
Old 10-11-2007, 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Possibly all 4 of our (Spurs) strikers start at Man City !!
U included Mpenza...

[/ QUOTE ]
lol

and dont get so hostile. you scare me. i dont like hostility. lets just all be friends and talk friendly about football and give our opinions in a polite and kind manner.

yes i include mpenza. i had to put a city player in. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2007, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ill come up with mine tomorrow moring to sleepy now to think. well ill try to come up with it anyway. i think im gonna get stuck around number 16 [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Berbatov
2. Rooney
3. Drogba
4. Torres(not proven yet)
5. Van Persie
6. Owen
7. Anelka
8. Adebayor
9. Martins(meh, could go either way)
10. Tevez
11. Kanu(not in the slightest)
12. Yakubu(depends)
13. Saha(too injured)
14. Kuyt(nope)
15. Viduka(a few years ago, yes, not now)
16. Keane
17. Darren Bent(lol)
18. Benni McCarthy
19. Defoe
20. Andy Johnson(lol)

[/ QUOTE ]

adebayor also isn't proven enough yet, but, I'd still rate him, the only reason I don't do the same for torres is because he hasn't played more then 15 games in the prem

[/ QUOTE ]
You think Berbatov is the best striker in the Prem?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, but I just assumed that seth did it off teh top of his head and was thinking robbie keane=spurs, so I'll put berbatov on the list. I'm not ranking them in anyway, unless we are going on over the past couple of years, in which case Rooney and Drogba would be on top
Old 10-11-2007, 09:59 AM

okay, seriously, can people stop putting torres on these lists. He hasn't played 15 matches in the prem yet, let along a single season. Hell, I wouldn't even include Tevez as he has only really played a half season for west ham. I think we should make a rule that a player has to have played at least 1 full season and weight it more towards having played 2 1/2 unless the player was just that damn good in 1 season(berbatov). Torres, Tevez, and Adebayor just haven't proven anything yet
Old 10-11-2007, 10:53 AM

KDawg, you are right that we can't class players after half a season, but we can base it off form and potential. Torres and Tevez are certainly two of the best strikers playing in the prem, and IMO Adebayor has joined that group as well.

Secondly, how can anyone rate Darren Bent. seriously. Even Defoe is overrated as well. Keane and Berbatov are the two best strikers at Tottenham and its not even close.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:23 PM

I guess, but they aren't proven, and torres is even less proven in the prem whereas tevez was able to save a team from relegation(and even I as a ManU fan wouldn't put tevez on that list yet). I mean hell, Scheva had a ton of potential last year and people here would've put him on the top of that list at this point in teh season had this been done last year, you know what I'm saying. Lets at least see what these guys can do after one season, and more correctly, see what they do after 2 or 3 before we rate them
Old 10-11-2007, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing that has struck me about the premier league...it seems like 90% of the teams wear either red or blue. Would it kill someone to wear green or something?

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah, I hate that. it doesn't help that the team logos are tiny little things on the left shoulder. Even if you think NHL logos are too big, surely you can have a compromise between tiny soccer logos (combined with huge advertisements) and the huge hockey logos.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Almost by default right now. Drogba and Rooney have been off kilter this season.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whilst Berbatov had been banging them in all guns blazing,,,,,,, [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Almost by default right now. Drogba and Rooney have been off kilter this season.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whilst Berbatov had been banging them in all guns blazing,,,,,,, [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's set up several (including two for Keane on Sunday), and from the games I've watched his general play has been better than that of Drogs or Rooney (though Rooney has been playing better of very late, amazing what that first goal will do for you). Also, I didn't want to rate Rooney #1 and feel like a homer. And I just dislike Drogba for whatever reason...

Regarding us 'not knowing' about Torres and Tevez, it's not like they sprang, fully-formed, into being in the Prem. Torres has been an elite striker in the best league (or league 1b) in the world. Tevez is at least a semi-regular for Argentina and was the best player in Brazillian football before his move to West Ham. Admittedly, looking at pedigree like this doesn't always tell you anything (see, e.g. Sheva, Ballack), but if you had asked me about this time last year, I probably would have had Schevchenko in my top ten because you don't lead Serie A in scoring by being a muppet...

Finally, Lol at Mpenza or Benjani being in the top ten and Anelka not.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:49 PM

seth, you have to remember with rooney that he is coming off a foot injury, so he will be a bit slow to get going.

as far as citing Torres and Tevez as great players in other leagues, well, there have been foriegn players taht have done amazing in other leagues and have looked like complete crap in the Prem. Veron comes to mind immeaditely and he was grabbed at what was supposed to be his prime(he was 28 when he joined ManU). Kleberson was supposed to be great too as he did well in other leagues but also looked like crap.

We have also seen how scheva and ballack have done, so pedigree in another league will not indicate how one will do in the Prem. It's just so much of a different style of play and mentality in england that one can only really be judged after at least a year, and honestly, more like several years