Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2007, 06:05 AM

Default Re: my last post about this ever i promise.

Why do you even want the job. Yeah maybe make decent money in 15 years time but do you seriously care that much.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:05 AM

Just play poker if that's what your heart tells you. You're just gonna be a mediocre, miserable accountant otherwise. I'd also get the notion of making 400k-500k a year out of your head. I'm not trying to bring you down but be realistic about the game. You might have the skills, experience, bankroll to make it happen, but somehow I doubt it. Only because for every 100 people that start playing full-time with your attitude, 95 crash and burn.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just play poker if that's what your heart tells you. You're just gonna be a mediocre, miserable accountant otherwise. I'd also get the notion of making 400k-500k a year out of your head. I'm not trying to bring you down but be realistic about the game. You might have the skills, experience, bankroll to make it happen, but somehow I doubt it. Only because for every 100 people that start playing full-time with your attitude, 95 crash and burn.

[/ QUOTE ]

why don't people think op can make this much per year? from what i know, op is a solid winner at 2/4-5/10. that equates to like $300-$400/hour plus.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:14 AM

Yes that's realisic during a great month. Not so realistic during a breakeven or losing month.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes that's realisic during a great month. Not so realistic during a breakeven or losing month.

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you mean? i'm referring to op's longterm win rate. surely it will even out over a year's worth of play (if op has a good work ethic, we're talking about a sample of something lilke a million hands).

obviously, op is more familiar with his true win rate than i am.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how many hands do you think you could play per month with the job?

[/ QUOTE ]

realistically about 8 hours, but at times 0 hours a week (like the next week)
[ QUOTE ]
how many would you play per month without it?

[/ QUOTE ]
i'd honestly try 40 hours a week, ive done it before and i'd do it again. ideally what id do is do 7 weeks of 40 hours, then take a weeks holiday and go abroad. every 8 week period i'd go to to a different area of the world, so i'd go to 6 different places over the year.

[ QUOTE ]
and to what extent do you think being tired from the job would affect your win rate?

[/ QUOTE ]

a bit probably, but it may improve it as i'd want to play rather than forcing myself to play.

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you even want the job. Yeah maybe make decent money in 15 years time but do you seriously care that much.

[/ QUOTE ]

i would be disappointed with myself if i didnt end out with a lot of financial security. job route almost guarentees it if i work hard, poker doesn't. i know it shouldnt be that important, but i like waking up without any real worries, without any real concerns. you have a ton of people who worry about money, ive never had that concern (to a bad extent).

but i do kinda agree with you. fkckucukkuckcu i keep changing my mind.

[ QUOTE ]
Just play poker if that's what your heart tells you.

[/ QUOTE ]

my heart tells me to sexually abuse fit women. just my head stops me. could be kinda the same with this, my heart says short term joy of playing poker, my head saying long term not yourself [censored] up. but then my head says 'wait a minute, poker could be better both short term and long term'.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:23 AM

I think the fact you want to rape women says more about you than anything. If he's set on playing poker he should just do it. He's going to be unproductive and medoicre at his job and go nowhere. He has to get it out of his system.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:27 AM

lol sorry that was just a dubious joke.

as for winrate my last 80k hands in my new database is $450/hr, the last 300k hands will be a bit over $300/hr i'd imagine as i played very badly over summer.

i do agree that with my current mindset i will be mediocre at my job. im kind of hoping i can change my current mindset (one of the reasons for discussing it) as if people reply saying being a poker pro isnt that great, and that doing the job in the long run will be better, than that'll change my mindset to working. but my brain is still saying poker is a wiser plan.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:31 AM

why did you get the job in the first place?

don't quit it now. in a weeks time you will no longer be running red hot and will think 'ugh wtf did i do'
Old 10-28-2007, 06:31 AM

It's a no brainer if you can make $450 an hour for the next 3 years. Who would work a $25 an hour job when you can make $450 in your underwear? At $450 an hour you'll be earning more than you'll be making in 15 years when you're making $500k pa.

I don't get what the problem is? Don't you believe in yourself? Do you feel you got lucky over the last 80k hands?