Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2007, 09:14 PM

Default Re: no point in life?

youre stucking between end of youth and becoming an adult.
youre only 22, dont worry too much, feeling like in nomansland isnt unusual in this time,i would suggest to find a passion (whatever that means for you- a creative hobby? girl/s? sports?)
Old 10-14-2007, 12:42 PM

The reality of leaving college/university and being bored in life is a common thing. Something like 80% of my friends have faced in the last few years, whether they have dropped out or finish most end up in call centres being bored all day without much to think about. Some are lucky enough to get a good job but most dont- such is life.
I may well find myself at your stage in the next year, but I can only suggest that you do something. Find something that interests you and focus on it. Even if you dont, think of something you want to do and try to make it happen. You should take pride that you dont seem to be the time of person to settle for a mediocre life. Whether it be poker, gym, sexual conquests, whatever you like really...As long as it keeps you motivated in life its worth it. This may or may not work for you, but I feel like I need some motivation in life to keep me sane.

If all else fails, why not look abroad. Coming from the UK is a wonderful thing in the oppurtunities it allows you to go around the world. The pound goes far further almost everywhere in the world than here.

Good luck
Old 10-14-2007, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reality of leaving college/university and being bored in life is a common thing. Something like 80% of my friends have faced in the last few years, whether they have dropped out or finish most end up in call centres being bored all day without much to think about. Some are lucky enough to get a good job but most dont-

[/ QUOTE ]

I find this is a big problem because we are sending way too many people to university. I'd say at least 60% of undergrad students have no business being at university. In the end it just builds up their expectations and makes the inevitable disappointment that much greater.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:07 PM

I had no choice but to go to univeristy to go on and be a teacher which is what I intended as it is not possible to teach without a degree (rightfully so). The mistake I made was rushing into the wrong course at the wrong university so to say 60% etc. may be right in one sense but I feel the advice given before you head off to univeristy is severely lacking.

I have no doubt had someone spoken to me more in depth at the time I would be finished with Uni with a degree and a full time job where I was happy and none of my above problems?

But I still appreciate the massive response on the thread and read every new reply so thanks.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:37 PM

The problem is that (at least where I live) we have a post secondary participation rate that is at 40%. That is up from 35% just 5 years ago. There is also this mentality that everyone should go to university.

40% of the population isn't smart enough to be in university so the standards have been lowered to accommodate them. Most can't handle it so end up in joke degrees like psych or sociology and then wonder why they don't earn $75k/year.

Students are also having their expectations greatly increased. I run into students at pubs who attend what has to be one of the lower rung Canadian universities and they all think they are going to be CEOs of Fortune 500 companies. That they go to a [censored] school and that there are thousands of people just like them at better schools never even occurs to them. When they graduate they get hit hard with reality and end up depressed.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:39 PM

God you sound so much like I was a couple of years ago its scary.

I managed to figure out what I *did* want to do and started training as a pilot. I worked my nuts off in a succession of crap jobs to pay for the training and bonus whored like a [censored] for a year to afford the training. But even just a few months ago I was thinking 'maybe this isn't for me, maybe I should finish my degree..etc etc...' And it was still bothering me because I had no money and nothing concrete in terms of earning potential to show for it.

Anyway, last week I got offered my first flying job and I swear I have never been happier and now give absolutely zero [censored] about not finishing a degree.

I guess what im just trying to say is that first you have to figure out what you *really* want to do and then just bust your balls in order to be able to do it. Trust me, if I can do it almost anybody can.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:41 PM

I also agree 100% with the post just above my previous one.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:44 AM

Do you have an option to back to school? Like can you take out loans, etc? I know this doesnt sound fun, but if going back means you will get a job you enjoy and pays better then having debt when you come out wont be the end of the world? I think itll also put you in a better mindset. School debt isnt so bad either if you have a roommate or significant other you are living with afterwards anyway. What do your parents think? Can they or will they help any? Why did you quit? If you dont want to go back, can you quit and get some other job?

You have got to regain some of your social contacts. If they are in uni and that makes you blah its okay, everyone takes a different road - just trying and enjoy your friends for they are hun, dont let what they are doing in their lives affect your friendship.

I know it seems rough at times like this, but there are things to be happy about, you just arent seeing them because of the other things you are focused on. Seriously, take some time for yourself, even if you cant take time "off" work right now, take some time mentally for yourself. Try and search for what makes you happy and just lay and relax, slowly get yourself back together. Just take it one step at a time.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:58 AM

i struggled with rather severe depression throughout most of my college years (just ended last year) and I have to say no advice really matters when you are in the middle of it but I will try (many people have already touched on these)

1. try and surround yourself with anything you like. TV shows, movies, books. I know everything costs money but you can afford small things like this. I always found reading philosophy and such things to make me feel better

2. try and exercise. I could only get on a regular routine once I was happy again, catch 22, but if you can it helps.

3. Try to build some human relationships. Talking to other people is absolutely essential for happiness and another catch 22 about being depressed is you generally isolate yourself from people.
Try to find people with similar interests/situations. Also, romantic relationships are very important. I became so much happier when I met my girlfriend, though I think we wouldn't have worked out if I hadn't been feeling better
I don't think quitting the forums is necessarily a good idea, it could help a lot

4. Seek professional guidance if you can. I saw a school psychiatrist for a long time and it helped greatly. I also took prozac for over a year. I know in the UK they don't use drugs as much for these things but I used it temporarily and I think it helped me get through some hard times.
I would recommend Peter D. Kramer's books on the subject

It will almost surely end eventually. Time is sometimes the only thing that works. Just plug away at whatever you are doing. Try to have some goals in mind but even if you don't you are young and you don't need to know what you're doing.
Keep on keepin' on.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Most can't handle it so end up in joke degrees like psych or sociology and then wonder why they don't earn $75k/year.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wrong. Why are those degrees a joke? I have an IT degree (something I think you consider "not a joke"), so I am being objective when talking about this. Somebody doing psych or sociology out of passion is just as entitled to $75k/year as anybody else. And judging somebody by their degree is the most superficial thing you could do. The most important thing imo is to be honest to youself. If you like psych do it for whatever it pays. You will be very good in a few years and people will want to pay you good money to help them. If you like poker, [censored] degrees. Get better and better at it until you get much more than $75k/year. And finally don't get a degree just because "it pays well". You won't like your job and will never be the best at it.