Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 08:49 AM

Default Fullring versus 6Max

Okay so I am sure this is a bit of a newbie question, but if I ask this in the beginner's forum no one will most likely answer it because they all mostly play holdem.

My questions are:

What are the major differences in game play between fullring and 6 max?

( I have a hard time playing 6max and notice that people use position on me to push me out of pots frequently and I haven't figured out how to combat this so my next question is this) How can I learn how to play 6 max effectively? What tatics are involved which will help me become a profitable player at 6 max?

I welcome any insight into how I can learn 6 max because I want to be able to play it as well as fullring. Main reason is there are times when the fullring circle goes dead and I need to play the 6max and I find it much more difficult because of the agression level ( and my nut peddling ways).

Thanks.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Fullring versus 6Max

I'm a fullring player to the bone and prefer that far and beyond above 6-max, having 20k and 500 hands respectively. In fullring, you can afford to be far far more patient and wait for a good hand and take advantage of whatever donks are at your table. In 6-max, as you said, you need to rely more on position and good solid poker play.

I prefer fullring mainly for the advantage it gives to multi-tabling. In being a nit, I can play 4 omaha and 3 hold'em tables at once because I don't have to rely on position as much.

This is, of course, a personal preference and I'm sure it would be different if I were better at the "good solid poker play" needed to thrive in 6-max.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:06 AM

Q: how r you able to multi-table in fullring Omaha? You play at different blind levels? or in Stars and FTP at same time? I can never find enough games at my level going.

I love FULLRING 2 because of the exact same reasons.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:43 AM

I play pretty low stakes, and there are usually at least 3 tables going at Full Tilt at FROH100 and below (or if you sit down at one it'll fill up). Stars, when I played there, always had several full ring games going at each level 100 and below. Cake has grown enough and they have pretty much exclusive FROH50 and below.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:07 AM

when i first decided to learn Omaha i cut my teeth on full tables, as there is very little blind pressure, and also your decisions tend to be fairly straightforward, as you do get high numbers of nitty players.

however, full ring is dying out. More often than not you get 5-6 mini Rolfs (although they are usually so bad the game is still +ev) and it generally kills action between large stacks at the table. in time all PLO will be 6 seater IMO, as there are far more oppertunities to make money short handed as you rely less on the cards and more on your ability

basic strategy for 6 seater is the same as basic strategy for any game - always go against the grain of the table. if you are being bullied, then sandbag; if your oppenets are nitty, then open up and be agressive with your marginal hands.

overall you should work at small improvements at a time. invest im poker tracker if you havent already, review your sessions and post hands here if you are unsure. also keep an eye on the low content thread, and compare and stats decent players post with your won stats - do they steal blinds more?? go to showdown less?? its always better to emulate genius than to create mediocrity!
Old 09-20-2007, 10:10 AM

Is Cake a poker site? Never heard of it? lol unless you mean chocolate cake.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:14 AM

GREAT advice ty!

I am working on getting poker tracker. I used the trial version and I didn't discover until the last day I used it that you could play back your hands. I love that feature. It shows your pot odds and the winning %s - yeah I gotta have it.

Sandbag? Not entirely sure what you mean - do you mean play tight?

So i need to be able to adjust my style of being "nitty" to prehaps more agressive and open in my starting hands.

I found the few times I played they were extremely agressive and I am used to waiting for the nuts to pounce.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:32 AM

the odds cals on PT are worth the money alone imo, for the amount of time it saves keying hands in manualy to an odds calc

this is the best example of sandbagging i can find - my opponent is agressive enough after 'my continuation bet failed' to 'take the pot off me' - its better to take this line against this type of opponent as if you bet out on the turn they can represent a scary river

Cryptologic
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $105.40
Hero: $119.50
Button: $194.80
SB: $123
BB: $13.15

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $3.5</font>, Button calls, 2 folds.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($8.5, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $8.5</font>, Button calls.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($25.5, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets $24</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $97.5</font>, Button folds.
Uncalled bets: $73.5 returned to Hero.

Results:
Final pot: $73.5

i dont necessarly think you have to be looser pre flop (only in late pos), its more about being agressive with both sets and big draws after the flop, and also adjusting your play to take advantage of your opponents tendancys
Old 09-20-2007, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is Cake a poker site? Never heard of it? lol unless you mean chocolate cake.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes it's a poker site, and has the best sign-up bonus of any site ever (easily cleared 100% to $500 + 33-35% rakeback). It's small though.

Also, to answer a previous question, yes I play different levels. My preferred level, and the level I'm rolled for, is OH50, but I rarely go up to OH100 if I'm feeling brave, and balance that out with a few OH25 tables. Make sure you practice good bankroll management and you know how to do so responsibly before tinkering with what levels you play at though. If you have any reservations, it's far far better to play down that it is to play up.

Also, to clarify, at Fullring it's not only about being patient, it's about being nitty and picking your spots. In 6-max, I'd probably instashove 44 to a 224A board unless I had a really really solid read, but in fullring I'd lay it down much easier (as I did yesterday saving to the tune of 160bb).
Old 09-20-2007, 01:04 PM

I see so sandbagging is when you have an overtly aggressive villian that you check to knowing he will take a stab at the pot. This way you get paid off for having the nuts.

So if in this case, he is holding second nuts, there is a small chance he may even call your raise and you make an even bigger pot, then if you had bet out on the turn and he just called you.

And in the case where he has trips the same might happen because he wants to draw to a fullhouse.

Or if the board had a possible flush out there on the turn he would be an underdog to draw out on you so he would have to pay big time to attempt his suck out on the river.

Okay I like it.