Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 01:03 PM

Default live 8/16, whiffed overcards OOP

I open-raise A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] from UTG+1, MP1 blind poster calls, BN calls, blinds fold. BN is pretty decent but cold calls a little too much. Perhaps something like mid-pocket pairs, some suited broadways, maybe AQ-AT, KQ-KJ and some weaker suited aces.

Flop [7 SB]: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Checked around.

Turn [3.5 BB]: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I check, MP1 checks, BN bets, I call, MP1 folds.

River [5.5 BB]: T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I check, BN bets...

I was planning on check/calling the flop with overcards and some backdoor possibilities and check/folding the turn unimproved.

I was pretty confident I was ahead on the turn once the flop gets checked around and the turn gets bet out by the BN. I felt there were two hands I was up against: overcards with position and slowplayed sets/two pair. I discounted the slowplayed big hands pretty heavily because the board is fairly drawy, the MP poster could have a good piece of it, and the BN is not an idiot.

That turn card is not bad for me. Any moderately aggressive player will bet the open ended straight draw on the flop with position. I'm not worried about that at all.

On the river, I was only beating AJ/KQ/KJ and had fallen behind AT/KT/QT/JT/QJ. Easy fold here I guess. Comments on all streets?
Old 10-17-2007, 01:13 PM

Default Re: live 8/16, whiffed overcards OOP

Pre-flop/flop fine, fold turn, fold river.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:15 PM

Flop against only two opponents I think I autobet with two overcards and a backdoor flush draw. Hand plays out totally differently then. If called by only one opponent I fire again on any turn card; it's usually hard for a low pair to call you here. If raised I think I usually fold against non-tricky players. River I'd probably give up but it depends on opponent.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:23 PM

Bet the flop. You have BD flush and straight draws to go with your OC, and may still have the best hand. Probably c/f that turn card.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:26 PM

Bet the flop, you have as many as 9 outs to win the hand and it might win unimproved if you slim down the field. As played fold the turn, your getting 4.5:1 on a 6 outer at that point IF top pair is good.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:29 PM

Please, please bet the flop. Yes, you're OOP, but the board is somewhat dry and you have two big overs and a BDFD (one card backdoor straight, as well.)

I fold the turn as played.

I would bet the flop and reevaluate the turn.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:34 PM

I think that with the hand being only 3 ways on the flop you should fire here on the flop. You are only 3 ways here with 2 overcards and a nut BDFD, not to mention you are the PF agressor. I think the hand would perhaps have played out a bit differently had you bet the flop. both Villain & MP1 may have folded. As it was you gave them both a free look at the turn which I think you should fold now cause your pretty much telling villain you have AQ or AK. Checking the flop & the turn I think it is time to cry uncle. I dont know about your assumption that someone would just bet out an OESD here. You were the PF raisor and a lot of times player's default line is to always check to the raisor whether or not they pick up a hand or draw etc. Plus the pot is not that big on the turn.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:38 PM

I feel like I've been c-betting too many flops. If I'd been heads up against the cold caller I'd have felt much more comfortable leading the flop of course, but at the time I felt that it wasn't a great flop considering the MP poster.

I've been taking some shots at 8/16 and have found the play to be much tighter and much more aggressive than 6/12 even, and I guess I didn't want to get pushed off on the flop by something like JT.

I'm not sure if, as played, people think I'm behind on the turn, if you think the pot's too small to be worth paying off, or if the MP poster left to act makes calling bad.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:24 PM

I feel your pain about the UI overcards. They are tough to play no doubt. The other night I kept getting smacked with AQ and AK and mostly missing the flops in multi way pots, some with & some without BD draws. Sometimes you just have to surrender. Recheck some of those hands where you had maybe a multi way pot and you had like AKs and it got checked to you. I know we feel like he have to put in the obligatory C-bet but not always. Esp On certain boards. In your case here though you have enough to bet with so few players for sure.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:56 PM

Bet the flop. Check fold the turn. The pot is small, you're OOP and you have no piece of it, let it go.