Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2007, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Jackpot coming to Venetian

[ QUOTE ]
If people are worried about the tourist going broke in non capped games, than all limit games should be capped at 4/8 to preserve the $$

[/ QUOTE ]

wow...
Old 04-16-2007, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

A little more advertising, customer service, and hands on approach would get this room ROCKING.

[/ QUOTE ]

People have been saying that for the past year. Obviously its going to take a lot more than that. At this point the best thing for you to do is admit that the room needs significant and radical changes in approach or its going to stay exactly as it is. Kathy is getting bad advice all around, the best advice to give her now is "I don't know, time to call in an expert"
Old 04-17-2007, 10:39 AM

Regarding caps on small NL games.................

Commerce caps its small NL games with 100, 200, and 400 cap games. Commerce has the fishiest NL games in the world. Commerce generally runs 50-60 tables of these games on any weeknight. I'd venture that may be more than run in the entire city of Las Vegas on any given Friday and Saturday night at that level. Commerce has maintained these games(and actually increased them) even as the popularity of televised poker wanes.

Capping buy ins is genious. I see people(tourists) distraught that the NL games are uncapped. Capping buy ins definitely makes the games more attractive to less experienced player/fish.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think caps are essentially irrelevant, with only a very few exceptions.

[/ QUOTE ]
i usually agree with your thoughts, clark. although you come from a limit background, you don't share the old-time limit players' dinosaur mentality that no-limit is somehow "eventually" going to die out again, and that shows me you're a progressive thinker. with regards to the question of capped buy-ins at small-stakes-nl, however, i think you're wrong here and that they're healthier for the games. the reason is that novice players have no concept of *effective* stacks; they see someone sitting with $3k at a 1-2nl table and get intimidated. they don't understand that if they buy in for $200, then the big stack also has, effectively, $200.

this sort of lack of fundamental understanding isn't confined to ssnl games, of course. in fact, just a few weeks ago i overheard a bellagio floorman talking to a player who was considering sitting down at the 10-20 game i was in: the stacks at the table weren't huge that night, maybe $5k on average, so i heard the floorman tell the customer something to the effect of, "you should have a shot with $2000, you won't get totally run over."

if even floormen running the high-limit games at the bellagio think in terms of short stacks getting "run over" by big stacks in a nl game, then obviously this type of misconception is prevalent. so capped buy-ins serve to alleviate some of the anxiety and intimidation many novice players will feel when they're deciding whether or not to sit down.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All a jackpots might do is get the room to rake a few more low limit tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats wrong with that? at this point embracing lower limit games is one of the V's best options. Its not the only option however, but they need to stop trying to market themselves as things for all players - because they fail miserably when doing that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I agree. As a business owner myself I know you can't try to do everything and expect to do it well.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:18 PM

Not sure if a JP is good in a Vegas room.

It's good for the room I play in(taking it off nearly killed the 20-40 game last year). That game was never better than 2 years ago when it was on in full swing.

But the greater majority of players here are local. People don't travel here to gamble. Vegas, I don't think JP's will draw the tourists. But who knows.

But some points:

[ QUOTE ]
I told her that jackpots aren't good for good players and not good for the poker economy. They don't improve games, and since good players hate them, they will be much less likely to play in a room with jackpots. And good players are needed for good games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Up here, they do improve the games. People love to play for JPs. The draw seems to level out around 20-40 to 30-60 up here. After that, it isn't as effective.

Good players don't hate them. Nits hate them. Many nits can't see that it helps get the JP chasers in there which are actually good for good players to have in the game.

The typical nit argument is rake and how it's $4.50 down the hole every hour for them. That's as far as they see. Conveniently completely ignoring the benefit of any extra action it brings. (which can be significant in some games. It was up here.)

Will it bring extra action to 4-8(or lower) games? Not really. Those games are usually pretty loose anyways. But to the limits just above the typical, it could bring in some extra action. But again, given that Vegas has so many rooms and alot of tourists, I'm not sure it'd work as well.

b
Old 05-07-2007, 12:03 AM

As of right now, is there a jackpot at the venetian? Any updates on this?
Old 05-07-2007, 07:12 AM

"As of right now, is there a jackpot at the venetian? Any updates on this?"

No Jackpots at Venetian, as I write this.

Best Wishes

Howard
Old 05-07-2007, 07:34 AM

I am late to this thread, but I noticed multiple mentions of a 25/50nl game at the Venetian...last time I was there the biggest they ran was 5/10nl and that was only strong on the weekends and once got lucky and a 10/20nl made. How often has this 25/50nl been running and can anyone give me any details on it?
Old 05-07-2007, 08:40 AM

Wednesday and Saturday...
Depends on who is in the game, it will either play 25/50 or 50/100 and twice it played 100/200.
Game starts around 5:00 to 6:00 pm.