Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 02:35 PM

Default How could I of played this hand better?

Yesterday I played in a home game tournament and am trying to figure out how i could've gotten away from this hand or if i even can.

blinds are 100/200, i have 4K chips in MP, average stack is 7K and we're about to double the blinds in 5 minutes.

i am dealt QQ and raise 3xBB from MP

2 callers, my immediate left (station) and the button who i know to be a very strong player.

i put him on something like JJ or AQ because he shows obvious strength but he does not push...which i assume he would try to isolate me if he's got anything stronger.

pot: 2100

flop 10c 3h 7c

i raise 1500 to get rid of the station and try to just take down the pot. too much?

station folds, button raises 1500 more and i know without a doubt that i'm beat.

my stack is now 1900, the pot is 6600 and i move all in for my remaining 400, flip over my queens, get up from the table and start walking as he flips over his pocket tens for a set.

it's so dissapointing to me that i made a good read, knew i was done for and betrayed it.

my question is how do i learn to let these hands go, or can i let them go? if i fold that hand over the long run i'm losing more pots than i could win, i know this, but still...how do you really learn to trust your reads and have the discipline to stand by them...especially when you're an average poker player that's making as many bad reads as you are good ones?

was there a way to play this differently that could've really helped me?
Old 10-22-2007, 02:58 PM

Default Re: How could I of played this hand better?

Other than pushing all in when you got re-raised, I think you played it fine. You had the best hand preflop, and were out of position, so you had to bet out to see where you stood. Just bad luck he hit his set.

Considering your stack size, maybe a bet of 1200 would have been better. That 1500 bet just about pot commits you.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:44 PM

He easily could have had JJ and figured his overpair beat your 99/88/AK. This is a situation where you need to know how he perceives YOU and what he thinks you might have. If he would make that play with JJ or worse even 1/5 of the time, you're right to push over the top of his raise.

Good move, bad luck that you got cracked.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:16 PM

Let me get this straight:

Blinds are 100/200, you have 4K in chips, AVERAGE is 7K, and the pot has 600x3=1800, and you have only 3,400 behind, on a 10 high flop, with QQ...

You're just going broke here when he has a set, folding would be a mistake.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:50 PM

i appreciate the input, thanks.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:55 PM

you played it fine anything else would have been bad
Old 10-23-2007, 01:22 AM

There are times in poker when you are just going to lose your remaining stack in a tourney and this was one of those.

Your pre flop raise was fine. The only thing I would have done different was to have pushed all in on flop. However, in this scenario you are still going broke. Unfortunately, you cannot win them all.