Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 08:33 PM

Default Re: Obv dream flop...could I have got away from this??

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
dream bigger

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. You're probably correct to get it in here against a typical range, but a non-nut straight's certainly not a "dream flop" in PLO.

[/ QUOTE ]

More often a nightmare than a dream in fact.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am amazed by all the nitty responses. In a raised pot when people wont put you on made straight there is nothing wrong with shoving flop. Once your opponent raises you can call, but you can only really fold when a diamond hits on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a smallish open, no 3-bet anywhere, 4 seeing the flop, raised pot. And what type of hand do you want if you're calling in such a pot? 4567, 5678, 6789, 789T type hands.

If it was 3 or 4bet pre and now HU, you could have an easier time ruling out some of these hands. But in this pot, it's like slightly ahead, way behind.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:09 AM

Lets all, like, relax and give this guy some constructive criticism instead of tearing him a new [censored] for misusing "dream flop." People who post these types of threads aren't the King [censored]' Jesuses of Omaha that you fellows apparently are. I mean, I know it's standard that you crush the soul of anyone playing under $5-$10 but I bet you didn't start playing all the cool-kid big-boy games and knowing more than the Mythbusters about everything on your first hand, give the guy a break.

That being said, generally if you get check raised on a flop with the second nuts, vs a non-bluffing opponent your chances are at best 50/50 (the second nut straight vs nut-ISD and a set is 50/50, or something). This isn't a concrete rule, of course, and has a lot to deal with your opponent and whatnot, but second nut straight to a 2-suited board and a check-raising opponent isn't that good. Getting all your money in with the best of it is rarely wrong, but in OH it is far more often than a lot of people think. Once you get check raised on this flop here, reevaluate whether or not you want to commit your entire stack on a 45% to win (according to Poker Monkey) vs at least a solid flush draw and solid other draw, if not a dominating straight.

Moral of the story: this is not an auto-shove but a re-evaluation. I would base my shoving on the opponent, if he were a tight nit then I would probably call and re-evaluate the turn / river, and if he were a crazy donk I would shove.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:30 AM

hands like this is why one should be adequetly rolled. its just another close hand that u can't get away from unless u want to be really nitty.

this morning, i came in for a raise and got called by the button. i flopped 2 pair with a gut shot and a 9 high flush draw. i bet and got raised and i stacked off against the one hand i didnt want to see. he had flopped the nut straight with a better diamond draw. i knew he had straight but i was hoping my flush draw was live too..... it wasnt....i moved on and didnt think twice about it.

at least your hand was the best on the flop. even if it wasnt, its no big deal. u did the right thing.

now go back and destroy them!!!!!
Old 10-02-2007, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lets all, like, relax and give this guy some constructive criticism instead of tearing him a new [censored] for misusing "dream flop." People who post these types of threads aren't the King [censored]' Jesuses of Omaha that you fellows apparently are. I mean, I know it's standard that you crush the soul of anyone playing under $5-$10 but I bet you didn't start playing all the cool-kid big-boy games and knowing more than the Mythbusters about everything on your first hand, give the guy a break.

That being said, generally if you get check raised on a flop with the second nuts, vs a non-bluffing opponent your chances are at best 50/50 (the second nut straight vs nut-ISD and a set is 50/50, or something). This isn't a concrete rule, of course, and has a lot to deal with your opponent and whatnot, but second nut straight to a 2-suited board and a check-raising opponent isn't that good. Getting all your money in with the best of it is rarely wrong, but in OH it is far more often than a lot of people think. Once you get check raised on this flop here, reevaluate whether or not you want to commit your entire stack on a 45% to win (according to Poker Monkey) vs at least a solid flush draw and solid other draw, if not a dominating straight.

Moral of the story: this is not an auto-shove but a re-evaluation. I would base my shoving on the opponent, if he were a tight nit then I would probably call and re-evaluate the turn / river, and if he were a crazy donk I would shove.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks bro...I am new to PLO and play NLHE up to 3/6 but for this I need to play small ball otherwise I will lose to many big buy ins. I am def properly rolled to begin this adventure and posts like this are there to help me in understanding the way this game is played. In NLHE if I feel I am ahead...I push HU...in PLO I push and find I had 2nd or 3rd nut and this is why insight is crucial to help me growth in this sick JH&&(RT*F(*GG game..lol just kidding I do enjoy it.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:21 PM

No problem.

Also, use this site:

http://www.propokertools.com/simulat...tionEditor.jsp

and check out the chances on various hands you're playing against.

On a 3d4d5x board, 62** without a flush draw is 50/50 vs 566A with a flush draw. 62** is 30/70 against 556A with a flush draw.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I can use that site and evaluate my play after the hand is played based on what I thought he had (don't use what he actually had, only what you thought he had) to evaluate and improve play.