Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2007, 08:18 AM

Default Pre-Registering for the WSOP $1500 events?

Will be going to the WSOP for the first time this year with the intention of playing a few of the lower buy in events.

My question is would it be a good idea to Pre Register through Harrah's web site or is it safe to just walk up and pay the day before?

I'd hate to get to Vegas only find out one of my desired events was "full" (are the early events ever "full"?). On the other hand my preference is to see where my BR stands as I may want to play a higher buy in.

Anyone have any insight on best practice on this?
Old 03-16-2007, 08:29 AM

Default Re: Pre-Registering for the WSOP $1500 events?

I have never been to the WSOP, but according to the posts last year, only the first $1500 event was 'sold out'. So, if you pick on of the later events you should get in fine. Although I would register as soon as I arrived in Vegas, but I like to know for sure if I could get in [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2007, 01:40 PM

Based on my experiences last year, if you're only playing in one prelim event, I would definitely pre-register (and will be). It gives the peace of mind knowing that you won't end up being an alternate (or locked out entirely) and you can avoid having to stand in line at the cage (there's a special podium for pre-registered folks).

On the other hand, if I was planning on being in LV for a couple of weeks and playing several events, I would probably not pre-register. That way I would have more flexibility to change things around depending on how I finished/cashed.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:37 PM

I plan on playing the first $1500 event as well and I am pre-registering at the end of this month, fwiw. Just in case....
Old 03-17-2007, 11:36 AM

i filled out the form at wsop.com, and sent in my check for the first 1500 event. i will report when i receive a receipt/confirmation from harrah's
Old 03-17-2007, 04:01 PM

I played in a 1500 buy in event about 2/3 way through the series. Over 3000 entries with several hundred of those alternates who signed up the day of the event. I agree with the other poster here, if you are only playing one or two events, I would sign up ahead of time. We had 11 at a table with a little over 200 tables to play on so with the announcement that only 10 maximum at a table this year, tournaments could sell out quickly. One report did have them adding another 100 tables this year so that would solve some of the alternates problems.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:47 PM

The first $1500 no limit event traditionally sells out the day before it takes place because ESPN usually selects the TV final table for broadcast.

The key to whether a particular $1500 or $2000 no limit event sells out is ESPN.

Everybody and his brother and sister want to take a shot at a televised event because the single-event logo sponsorship deals that were offered in the past (before the UIGEA) juicy.

In the post-UIGEA environment, U.S. based players will be at a disadvantage to non-U.S.-based players when it comes to getting single-event logo deals from sites because a number of sites will only sponsor non-U.S. residents.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

In the post-UIGEA environment, U.S. based players will be at a disadvantage to non-U.S.-based players when it comes to getting single-event logo deals from sites because a number of sites will only sponsor non-U.S. residents.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure exactly what you are saying here, but there are no restrictions on what players can wear at the final table (other than the size of the logo).

Harrahs recently said they realize sponsorships are how players can make additional money and they aren't going to mess with that.

If pokerstars wants to give someone $25,000 to wear a logo at a TV final table, Harrah's isn't going to stop that.

As to the OP, preregister if you can. First of all, it saves you from having to stand in line forever. Second, with the increase in chips and things such as events being broadcasts live over the internet, there may be more players wanted to play these events.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:36 PM

i am pre-registered for event #3, the first 1500 nl event.

it was a sometimes frustrating 3 week process, as i had to continually call to see if they received my check. they do not send a confirmation when they receive it. but, all in all, it is nice to not have to worry about the lines for what will probably be the event with the most runners, save the main event.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i am pre-registered for event #3, the first 1500 nl event.

it was a sometimes frustrating 3 week process, as i had to continually call to see if they received my check. they do not send a confirmation when they receive it. but, all in all, it is nice to not have to worry about the lines for what will probably be the event with the most runners, save the main event.

[/ QUOTE ]

Expect over 3000 "runners" for Event #3 when all the alternates are seated.

Event #3 is currently scheduled to air on ESPN on July 17 at 8-9pm ET.