Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2007, 09:12 PM

Default Best vodka to stock for my new sweetheart -- Gimmee some help!

OOT -- Help a lady out. My new guy is quite the vodka gourmet. He was polite when I offered him a drink made from the cheap handle in my freezer but it obviouisly did not impress.

I want to provide the finest vodka in the land for this guy. He's wicked cool, fantastic in the sack and smart.

So what is it? Should I have a few different kinds depending on how he wants to drink it, like one for mixed drinks and one for straight up?

Thanks!!
Old 04-22-2007, 09:36 PM

Default Re: Best vodka to stock for my new sweetheart -- Gimmee some help!

Whatever you do, don't buy grey goose.

I'm a pretty big fan of kettle one, but usualy go for sky as being my best bang/buck vodka.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:36 PM

Grey Goose is good.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:39 PM

My go-to vodka is Fris, and I've long touted it on these boards. It's not too expensive, and it's quality is solid. It's one of the best buys in vodka. Using a vodka more expensive than this one for any drink in which vodka is not the primary ingredient is pretty much a waste of money. The quality of the vodka just doesn't show through, say, cranberry juice to warrant plunking down half a C note. Compared to vodkas in the same price range, I prefer it to Skyy, Absolut, and Smirnoff.

A good step up from that is Rain. It'll run you a few more bucks, but I could notice a slight step up in quality from the Fris. That says something. Many of my friends prefer Fris to Grey Goose (even w/o cost considerations), although I haven't run Rain by them yet. This is a good one for cocktails or drinking straight.

The other vodkas that get mentioned by people whose alcohol advice I respect in this forum are most notably Hangar One, and also Ketel One, Chopin, and Belvedere. A pretty good idea is to not really listen to the alcohol advice of anyone who touts Grey Goose. In case you didn't know, this is an over-priced and over-marketed vodka for which the reputation far exceeds its actual quality. Definitely look elsewhere.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A pretty good idea is to not really listen to the alcohol advice of anyone who touts Grey Goose. In case you didn't know, this is an over-priced and over-marketed vodka for which the reputation far exceeds its actual quality. Definitely look elsewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for being one of the first people I've heard who also knows this.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A pretty good idea is to not really listen to the alcohol advice of anyone who touts Grey Goose. In case you didn't know, this is an over-priced and over-marketed vodka for which the reputation far exceeds its actual quality. Definitely look elsewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess people cant just like it more? For whatever reasons?
Old 04-22-2007, 09:43 PM

step one, if anyone tells you to get grey goose, don't listen to anything they ever say about vodka ever again.

those ma fuckas at grey goose did one hell of a marketing job. that's for damn sure.

can't go wrong with ketel one. i'm not a vodka snob though. i don't like drinking it straight, and when you have a mixed drink you really mask the vodka flavor.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sure they can, but for the most part, those reasons have little to do with the quality of the vodka.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only reason people think grey goose is good vodka is because it's marketed that way, and it's expensive. You can walk in the store and pick out tons of vodkas that both taste better, and are cheaper. Most people who actualy think grey goose is their favorite vodka are very easily convinced by adds, or they just assume that more money means better.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:48 PM

Absolut Vodka!