Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 02:48 PM

Default Weekly MicroStakes Home Game Help

Next week I am going to be starting a weekly home game for small stakes cash. We have a successfull monthly tourney that we have no issues with that is $20.00.

I am having a hard time deciding on the stakes for the weekly game. Its weird, I have some friends that would definately play for alot of money and others/family that would like it to be for smaller stakes.

I was intially thinking of making it close to the micro online tables .10 blinds or .25 blinds. I was thinking about 10.00 min buyin/20.00 max buyin with unlimited rebuys.

Some issues.
1. nickel/dime blinds would make the chips easy to play, however I am worried about it not being anything close to poker.
2. If its quarter big blind, what do you do for a small blind? (since using chips).
3. With it being a $20.00 game would it be enough money for people to return weekly for some, and not too much money for new players to work with?

Would appreciate any input. Anyone do anything like this?
Old 09-25-2007, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Weekly MicroStakes Home Game Help

I think this would work. .10 SB works well. Chip values can be .10, .25, 1.00 and up. If the players take the game seriously then the stakes really don't matter. Will the high rollers take it seriously? Or will they gambool it up? And if they do is that a bad thing?

Conversely if the only reason some play is to win big bucks then they probably wouldn't be interestd in a NL25 game. But then I wouldn't expect to see them at a $20 buy in tourney either. Most likely they're there for the entertainment value.

With a .25 BB I would be inclined to go a with a max buy in of $25

Are there enough players to have two different games. One small and one bigger?

Best advice I can give is to poll your players and see where they stand.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:02 PM

For what I read you guys don't have chips right?
Old 09-25-2007, 05:42 PM

F for reading comp.

The small levels here ,with the blinds, really shouldn't stop people from taking the game seriously. Each bet is a % of their buy in, they should be trying to end up with more money than what they started with. Playing well still applies.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:15 PM

If everyone in your group is comfortable dropping a few $20s for a night's entertainment, I'd recommend a $20 buyin game. Something that works well that I've seen a lot of places is 25c/50c blind structure, but that does pretty much put everyone shortstacked. 10c/25c would work well. Just give everyone a few dimes, since they'll only be used for small blinds anyway. Or, hell, just skip that and use 25c/25c blinds. In NL cash, the blinds are a pittance compared to the pot sizes, so it doesn't really matter. The stacks are what matter.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Or, hell, just skip that and use 25c/25c blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what we do in my home game, $25 buyin, 25c/25c blinds. It's reasonably deep-stacked and getting rid of the dime chips was great.

Really, what low-limit player is going to fold their SB for an extra 15c anyway?
Old 09-26-2007, 09:25 AM

I had been considering the .25/.25 as the blind structure and most likely that will be the case.

So to keep it simple a $20.00 max .25/.25 game would allow basically anyone to be able to play, be able to use .25/1.00/5.00 for chips, and maybe keep the tightwads and the gamblers happy.

Should there be a minimum, i.e. $10.00?

And there are plenty of chips! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2007, 09:54 AM

We have a fairly serious game with 5 and 10 cent blinds. It's mostly competition and pride that make a game good, not the blinds size.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:09 AM

We use only a 50BB buy in, which allows some more interesting all-in scenarios, without people losing larger buy-ins.

One twist - we can't rebuy until we're broke. Adds some tournament strategy of sorts to a cash game.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:24 PM

I assume you're talking about no limit play. Am I right?