Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 10:30 PM

Default River bluff in a large, unprotected pot

UTG is 20/11/2 who is just playing good cards and is pretty ABC. With him so tight, 3b'ing my AQss is somewhat borderline, but I opted to in this case.
BB wasn't there for long but didn't impress me at all... 26/13 were the stats I grabbed on him over 30 hands.

The hand plays out kinda weird, and it seems like both of the guys have overs. My line looks 88-JJ, AK.

Big pot, certainly not going to get raised on this river, but almost certainly not good if called. Thoughts?

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks.

River: (7.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>,

Oh, and not enough hands on either villain to have a decent WtSD%.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:45 PM

Default Re: River bluff in a large, unprotected pot

In a raised pot, on that turn, I'd expect anyone with a pair to bet when checked to, unless they were taking some kind of turn value check.

I'd expect UTG may have wanted to induce a river bluff, but with 2 opponents, I can't understand why he'd be checking that turn behind after being checked to if he had an overpair.

I don't see many pre-flop caps 3 -way on the turn get checked behind.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:52 PM

I think you lose to AKo here by one of these guys most of the time. I would just check and expect it to get checked through most of the time. This is not a good bluffing opportunity because of the board, the players and the action.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:06 PM

BB is the most likely to have us beat with AK here. our hand can be read as a small/mid pair so a bet might get him to fold it not closing the action

we usually have UTG beat so that would be huge
Old 09-17-2007, 11:51 PM

I disagree that we usually have UTG beat. He's probably a moron and checked the turn with 77 / 88 because he got scared of the pf action.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree that we usually have UTG beat. He's probably a moron and checked the turn with 77 / 88 because he got scared of the pf action.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am thinking the same. A lot of these nits will be bad at hand reading and be scared of that turn. So its important to know how good he is postflop.

That said. If you think you have UTG beat this is a good bet IMO. BB has AK almost always and he would be hard pressed to call a bet not closing the action.