Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2007, 05:46 PM

Default Help on this hand please

Villain is a winning regular by my accounts, but a bit laggy at around 35/20/2. The table is playing VERY loose, except for me, but I'm not sure he sees this as he's 4-tabling.

The last time he donked OoP was with the nuts, but that was a 5 handed pot, FWIW.

I've just showed down 2 losing hands, though they were JJ on a T high board and when my 77 was outrun by J4.

I'm just trying to figure out a good line here.
A lot of the time I'll raise to buy a free turn (or occasionally fire again, but not against this opp).
Sometimes I'll call, but I really think this telegraphs my hand to AK/AQ.

Is this play standard, or should I be considering other routes?

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero folds.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:51 PM

Default Re: Help on this hand please

why did you raise the flop?
Old 07-14-2007, 05:57 PM

sry it looks like you did provide some reasoning

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of the time I'll raise to buy a free turn (or occasionally fire again, but not against this opp).
Sometimes I'll call, but I really think this telegraphs my hand to AK/AQ.

Is this play standard, or should I be considering other routes?

[/ QUOTE ]

raising for a free turn card heads up is pretty terrible.
- if you have enough equity to raise the flop you have enough equity to bet most turns and deny villain a free look at the river
- you kill your implied odds for when you improve
- you get charged 3 bets to see the turn when villain reraises (like he did here)
- you set yourself up to be outplayed

calling shouldn't telegraph your hand. you should be taking the flop call line with a mix of draws and made hands
Old 07-14-2007, 07:03 PM

yourself hit it. This might be a good spot to call down and make a note on villain if you play with him a lot. Find out what he is donking with in HU flops.

Plus this is a very drawy board, and if villain is on a flush or straight draw you might get him to 3-barrel into you and pick it up with A-high. Also if he is donking with a pkt pair 7s or lower you may have picked up 3-outs if the J comes on the river.

I think this is the right type of board to call down A-high UI. If this guy shows down a good hand make a note and pay attention to when he donks in the future.