Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Live HSNL strategy Part 1: Sunglasses

Once I was in the middle of a convo with 3 guys at my end, it was a multiway pot. I was on the button and called a pfr with JTs. We took the flop 5 handed and it came down AKQ. I stopped talking mid sentence when I saw the flop and started up again when I realised what I did. I got action from people at the other end but the guy next to me said he knew I had a monster LDO. Lesson is dont talk a lot while you play because experienced live players can get a ton from what you say and how you say it.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:28 PM

I suggest wearing these, youll get unlimited action at the table.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Once I was in the middle of a convo with 3 guys at my end, it was a multiway pot. I was on the button and called a pfr with JTs. We took the flop 5 handed and it came down AKQ. I stopped talking mid sentence when I saw the flop and started up again when I realised what I did. I got action from people at the other end but the guy next to me said he knew I had a monster LDO. Lesson is dont talk a lot while you play because experienced live players can get a ton from what you say and how you say it.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah the problem in this case, when you're obviously not paying much attention to the action, is that there is a reason you are suddenly interested in the pot. The action cannot be the cause, so it must be your hand. Doesnt really matter how well you compose yourself.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:30 PM

i wear them for 2 reasons :

1) so people don't stare me down in hands
2) so people are less likely to try and have a conversation with me
Old 05-29-2007, 06:34 PM

I normally like talking to people at the table, makesme feel better about my life
Old 05-29-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A while back limon talked about some gangster sunglasses that weren't too tinted for indoors so you could still see your cards...anyone?

ps I know wearing sunglasses is toolish but I'm told by many that my eyes give away way too much, so how else will i win a bracelet this year?

[/ QUOTE ]

We need a live HSNL forum sooo bad. I can't even begin to explain the huge differences between live and online.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:41 PM

i wear headphones (not soundproof ones) and pretend i cant hear people, and sometimes wear light sunglasses like aviators to shade my eyes, all these things help me to not have to talk to the huge donks at my table- conversation with them makes me want to kill myself. especially about poker.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:44 PM

The thing about wearing sunglasses in a live game is that as long as they're not hindering your vision, then you lose nothing by wearing them.

I don't play online anymore and I play 5/10 and 10/20 live exclusively and I can tell you that even the good players who don't wear them give you more information (reverse tells or real) than those who do wear them. I'd rather have some kind of tell and be able to interpret it than stare back at my own reflection in someone's Ray Bans.

Every little bit of information helps and the fact is that most people give away information with their eyes with where they're looking, how they make eye contact with you and a multitude of other things.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i wear headphones (not soundproof ones) and pretend i cant hear people, and sometimes wear light sunglasses like aviators to shade my eyes, all these things help me to not have to talk to the huge donks at my table- conversation with them makes me want to kill myself. especially about poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

One time I was heading in and realized my ipod was completely battery drained. I just said F it and left the ipod in the car and brought in just the headphones. I kept them in and pretended like I couldn't hear someone, so that people wouldn't talk to me because i wasn't in the mood.

About twenty minutes later the guy next to me asks what I'm listening to and I make something up. Then he looks at me awkwardly and then looks down. I follow his eyes and realize that the end of my headphones had fallen out of my pocket, so it was just dangling there, not plugged into anything.

Kinda felt like a dick.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:32 PM

haha