Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 05:50 PM

Default Re: How does everyone feel about this?

So annoying when they don't respect your play. Teach them a real lesson and don't play with then any more.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So annoying when they don't respect your play. Teach them a real lesson and don't play with then any more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you are but what am I? I'm telling.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I shall fix this leak. Also, everyone is right, if they start respecting too many of my raises, my $400 buy-in wont be $1600 by the end of each night anymore, and we don't want that. I'll force myself to take a deep breath, say "nice hand" and wait for them to do it again next time and miss. Now that I'm getting more and more input, I'd be making a huge mistake if I convinced them to stop playing such draws.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is exactly the right way to play against calling stations. Sometimes you will even be laying the best hand down, but that is necessary. If they do the same thing on a flush draw 3 times in a row, you are only going to win 2 times. If you correctly slow down the 3rd time, you'r laughing to the bank.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:52 PM

Easy children. Take it to BBV.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know this sounds like a fish post but what you have to understand is this, I'm a strong player,

[/ QUOTE ]
It sounds like being thought of as a great poker player is much more important to you than making good plays and winning money.

Casual players play poker for fun. They want to make big hands, catch a bluff, and get to say, "I'm all in!" They aren't there to hear a lecture on how badly they play, and how great you are. It's quite profitable to be nice, and give them what they want.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you are but what am I? I'm telling.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know you know and you know I know you know. You must also know what I know about you.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:58 PM

Lol...Why shouldn't he draw? Just because the board paired? Get real. Assuming they are paying any attention to anything beyond their own two cards then it's simply a matter of adjusting the odds. I'm drawing to a flush and the board has paired. I'm about 4:1 to make my flush on the turn. Now I'm not 4:1 to win since you could have trips, for a redraw, or possibly already have a boat. So I'll adjust my winning chance down to, lets say, 5:1, We could even go to 6 or 7:1 if you like. You make a bet that with a caller gives me pot odds of 3.1:1. I'm behind on pot odds, but with another $200 behind I have some huge implied odds. If we make the assumption that I put no more money in if I miss the turn but I get it all in ($200) if I hit then on my $15 dollar call my implied odds are about 16:1. (Pot of $17 plus two bets at $15 so $47 + $200.... 247/15 = 16:1)If I get it all only half the time I'm still 8:1

On the flop you should almost never put your opponent on one specific hand. You should put them on a range and refine from there. And if the odds are there against that range play accordingly. Your range on a free play from the BB is rather large..... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]On the flop we could probably narrow your range to top pair, a hand with a 3, or maybe something like 99 and you want to know right now if somebody hit they're King. Are you the type to bet a draw so can we add flush draw to your range too? What about a full house? Would you bet it or slow play and trap? If the latter we can discount it some since you bet. I think you get my point here.

But it does sound like you might be a little frustrated. Try not to get fancy. If they're not thinking about what you have trying to fool them is just a waste of time and energy. Wait for big hands and value bet mercilessly. And I'll say it again, charge them the absolute maximum you think they'll pay to draw. And in the long run you want them to make these calls, over and over, and over. There is nothing better than a table full of players willing to call off their whole stack and take the worst of it for a chance to make their draw

p.s. to Allyasia, Your hand is typically not killed for showing. In a tourney you might receive a time penalty but in cash it is generally acceptable. This assumes heads up. Some poker rooms don't allow the showing of hands and might have a house rule stating it's dead if shown so check before attempting this move.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Bunch of business owners and punk kids throwing money around, it's like an ATM machine and I have everyone's pin number.

[/ QUOTE ]

if this happened i wouldn't grab a screwdriver and try to fix the ATM or throw away the PIN. sorry, that is what trying to educate the lesser player amounts to. as has been said, if you 'fix' the atm you stop making money. keep the machine broken and tell them good hand when they draw out on you on a bad play.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know this sounds like a fish post but what you have to understand is this, I'm a strong player,

[/ QUOTE ]
It sounds like being thought of as a great poker player is much more important to you than making good plays and winning money.

Casual players play poker for fun. They want to make big hands, catch a bluff, and get to say, "I'm all in!" They aren't there to hear a lecture on how badly they play, and how great you are. It's quite profitable to be nice, and give them what they want .

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, this paragraph should be placed in some *Beginners Questions* FAQ

Great post.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:08 AM

Really if you are as you describe then I'd say the whole play winds up in an attidude problem. You've identified a group of players with problems in their game. Rather than concentrating on how you can get each one of them in a possition to make thier mistake your thinking it's your job to teach them a lesson. Why? Either your looking to build up the toughest group of players you can to fleece you or your ego is getting out of hand and you think they should just lay down to you everytime you bet. Hey, I want that too but it's not realistic. They are calling against pot odds yet you think they are smart enough to realize your a consistant winner and probably should be left alone. They don't even have the simplest thing right and your expecting them to keep track of something more complex like one specific players record. There is nothing to gain by teaching this lesson.

Incidentally, nobody takes $1600 out of a 3-5 game every time. If I were good enough to do that or found a game where I could do that, I'd be on the Porsche club board trying to figure out which options I was getting on my new 911, not farting around on this board trying to figure out how I can screw up the game I've found.

No flames please, you asked what I thought.

Dave