Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 07:53 PM

Default Re: So who in here wants the US to fail in Iraq?

[ QUOTE ]

So who in here is part of the 37% of the population that wants Bush's plan to fail or doesn't know?

If you are part of that 37%, what is your reasoning? You may hate Bush or the US government in general, but do you really think we will all be better off if we fail in Iraq? Or would you just get pleasure in seeing Bush fail regardless of how many lives are ruined in the process?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would answer "don't know". I don't know because I have no idea what it would mean for the plan to succeed. I have been unable to figure out what the US is hoping to accomplish with war in Iraq since before the war began.

If asked to pick between Iraq alternatives, I'd look to minimize:
1. US lives ruined
2. Iraqi lives US is responsible for ruining
3. US govt. $ spent on the Iraq war

If I understood what success meant maybe I could balance the value of success against the costs of money and lives. Until then, it's tough for me to see how any plan can beat just leaving.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:00 PM

Take a quick spin around Democratic Underground or Kos or... and you'll find 2/3 or 3/4 of them hoping for failure. Don't bother asking here since there are not so many honest Dems. Maybe Iron will come clean.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You may hate Bush or the US government in general, but do you really think we will all be better off if we fail in Iraq?

[/ QUOTE ]

The better this plan works out (in the eyes of the US public) the more likely it seems that aggression in the future will be done under the guise of brining democracy.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't bother asking here since there are not so many honest Dems.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, real Dems hate America.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe Iron will come clean.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think I would answer "I don't know" to the question.

On one hand, of course I want Iraq to turn into a stable democracy. While I don't have high hopes of success for the Surge, at least its something different. It is within the realm of possibility that a temporary stabilization in Baghdad could give all sides enough time to cool off that they lose the urge to keep killing each other.

On the other hand, any stabilization in Baghdad will likely be temporary. If the Surge stabilizes Baghdad for 6 months, which in my estimation would make it a success, that just means the day of reckoning in Iraq when we eventually leave is delayed for 6 months. During this delay, Al-Qaeda has continued use of its best recruiting tool and American troops keep dying fighting Sunni insurgents. This would be bad.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:22 PM

DEFINE SUCCESS (<could be its own thread). NOT ENOUGH INFO GIVEN. Would have been my response.

Thats an intentionally strange question.

Bush's goal in Iraq has never been a functioning democracy, that was prevented by the US. Bush seeks to install a government that serves US business interests.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
DEFINE SUCCESS

[/ QUOTE ]

After every terrorist, I mean person in Iraq surrenders.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

On one hand, of course I want Iraq to turn into a stable democracy. While I don't have high hopes of success for the Surge, at least its something different. It is within the realm of possibility that a temporary stabilization in Baghdad could give all sides enough time to cool off that they lose the urge to keep killing each other.

[/ QUOTE ]

A nice hope; but, as you say, not a lot of hope. I'd be even less enthusiastic.

[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand, any stabilization in Baghdad will likely be temporary. If the Surge stabilizes Baghdad for 6 months, which in my estimation would make it a success, that just means the day of reckoning in Iraq when we eventually leave is delayed for 6 months.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aye, and there's the rub.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:58 AM

Frankly, I want us to succeed or fail, whichever is quicker. It's the stagnation that I have the biggest problem with. If we succeed, great. If we fail, not so great. But, at least with failure there is an amount of closure, and we can move forward as a nation, instead of being stuck in neutral, to the tune of ~660 billion dollars or whatever it is.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:49 AM

ummm.... online polls are meaningless. Its more then likely that not a single liberal/democrat even took the poll.