Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2007, 01:15 AM

Default BR for Vegas trip

Hi,

I totally understand this question can't be answered exactly but I'd like to hear some OPINIONS.

I play 100NL and 200NL 6-max online and make +-3ptBB/100 in the last 200k hands5stats are18/16). I play fulltime and because I needed to cash out a lot recently I have a 6k$ bankroll(and play100NL for now).

I would like to visit vegas for a month just for the experience and not as much for the money(in february/march pbb).

My question is,how much is needed to play live(are there also 10buyin swings like online or is that not standard bc you have a bigger edge) and If I play 5days/week and get a lot of hours in how big is the chance for a good online player to make money over a month time at 200NL live?

Basically, my question is this. How much do you recommend I take with me for 200NL live play for a month and what is the chance that I loose money (in poker [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] )over this time?

I want to know, because I want that money to be from savings and not from my usual BR and I want to feel like going with money I can afford to loose. Hope this makes sense. thanks for every reply I get, appreciated.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:39 AM

Default Re: BR for Vegas trip

10 buyin swing is not unusual at all. Not sure, but you're saying you have 6 grand? Take it all.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:02 AM

lol, I'm just interested to know how much I need to save to not go broke there after 3days [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Is this such a stupid question?

I got 6k now, and can only put a little aside each month to make this trip (I'm European).

looking back it is a stupid question but I just like to know if you guys recommend 2k or rather 5k to handle the live swings and most important is a month enough to overcome the usual variance of live games? (got no idea how much hands you play live but I can imagine it's not enough to make a proit in a month eventhough you have a hudge edge)
Old 10-28-2007, 05:47 AM

You wanted opinions, and that's what I gave you. Can someone run bad for a month? Of course. I've heard of people running bad for a year. If you take 30 buyins (BTW a 200 buyin is considered short in most places), you can lose that in a week, much less a month if you run bad.

What's "normal"? I don't know. I took your question to mean you wanted a number that would be safe enough that you wouldn't be stuck in Vegas for a month, out of money, after travelling all the way from Europe.

I'd bet that many people that consider themselves winning players have dropped two grand in a weekend there. It can happen to anyone.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:28 AM

ok, sorry. Thought you were just joking.

I know how bad variance is, but I'm so completely clueless about live poker that I have no idea how swings are compared to online.(bc edge is bigger)

I guess I'll save to take 4k+hotel and plane ticket/ and if I loose that, I guess I just ran bad. I realise this topic sucks though. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

so one question to close this crappy thread:how many hands are dealt in an hour live?
Old 10-28-2007, 07:58 AM

Instead of staying at a hotel for a month, you might consider corporate housing. I stayed in a condo for a month in Vegas and it was nice and just down the strip. Of course you then need a car to get around but if you're going to be there a month you may want a car anyway.

Place I got my condo through: http://www.oakwood.com/

Their site is down right now for some reason but they're very profesional and know what they're doing. You make arrangements through them, show up and have a nice place to stay. Cost is roughly comparable to staying at a decent hotel for the month. They have high speed internet and cable etc so you can still play online from there if you like. And you don't have to live in a noisy cramped hotel for a month.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:13 AM

great tip, lleisure. will check it out and sounds great.