Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2007, 01:16 AM

Default Re: $60t: AA lost at sea

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

What's with all the references to pot control around here lately? Has everyone been playing too much NL cash?

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm pretty sure pot control is used in sngs too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but not so much with AA on a reasonably dry board.

[/ QUOTE ]

We want to see a showdown for as cheaply as possible so if we are behind we can double up one time and still be in it----->pot control?
Old 02-06-2007, 01:17 AM

More to the point, not when the pot is already two thirds of your stack. It's a bit late then.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

What's with all the references to pot control around here lately? Has everyone been playing too much NL cash?

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm pretty sure pot control is used in sngs too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but not so much with AA on a reasonably dry board.

[/ QUOTE ]

reasonably dry board? this is a horrific board when youve seen the flop 4 ways... i check the flop and maybe even the turn... your hand sucks... i actually kind of like this really small bet on the turn and then fold to a shove... i think you gotta check fold the riv tho... but hes giving you such a nice price... yikes... probs call, but realize you dont get [censored] like this that often cause he usually checks or shoves.

wow... this is actually probs the most interesting hand thats been posted here in a while.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:50 AM

I actually like the idea of bet 1/2 pot on the flop. You took the lead pre-flop, and if your opponents know anything about odds, they know that AK would fit your raise and, at least initially, is more likely than AA, KK, QQ, etc,(though if they are paying attention the odds of AK and KK are pretty darn small right now...KK imposibile if they have a K in their hand). I think if you apply pressure...

1) you get a lot of information...a call may be a Kx, or a lower pair that thinks they have the best of it (for some reason...I see that a lot) and you may pick up the pot right there.

2) I don't feel that losing 1/3 your stack is a commital at this point with blinds T50. Still sitting on 20 BB, though not ideal, this is not yet a death sentence.

I think you go for the bet on the flop, then go into c/c or c/f depending on what kind of action there is (although 1 c/c probably does commit you and eliminates c/f as a possibility, so you probably have to make that decision on the Turn).

Fammy
Old 02-06-2007, 06:31 AM

Results:

My crying call on the river allows me to see him roll over TT for the flopped boat
Old 02-06-2007, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd bet the flop hoping to take it down, if not hopefully get it down to one opponent. If someone calls your flop bet i'd probably go into c/c mode for pot control because if they have a king they won't want to scare you off with big bets. I might fold to a shove on the river, but probably not.

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason, I can't seem to rationalize this logic. If you bet the flop (looks like a good idea now) and get one caller, AND you are looking to control the pot size (basically get to showdown for as cheaply as possible right?), why do you go into c/c mode? It seems to me that if you make a standard C-bet and get called, then check the turn, you are almost certainly

a) way behind in the hand if he bets

b) going to face a bet (if he bets) that will essentially commit your stack to this hand if not now, then definitely on the river.

So why not check the turn for more info instead of already deciding to c/c him down to the river? If he bets, maybe make a fold and get out of a tricky spot?

I don't have all (or any) of the answers here, but this seems like a situation where c/c'ing him down to the river=spewing more often than not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the idea of betting the flop the c/c-ing.

A flop bet should narrow it down to TT+, by then you are commited and further betting will only get worse hands to fold. I'd justify the flop bet as there are only 7 hands beating you (4 AK, 3 TT) and 12 hands u beat (6 QQ, 6 JJ).

Ok PF callers are not always going to call flop bet with JJ so reads are (as always) helpful.

I don't see the point of jamming on the flop as you're just folding otherwise possible calling hands that you have beaten and Ak, TT are not folding.