Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 11-19-2007, 12:09 PM

Default Joe Horn?

Ok, so I got on here hoping to find a thread about the Joe Horn news story, but alas there wasn't one. I really wanted to get some dialog going on this story. (Link: here)

There seems to be some discrepancy as far as whether he was within his rights to protect his neighbors property to that extent or if it was "undue force", and also if it was a matter of self-defense.

Although he put himself in a position where he would have to defend himself by attempting to defend his neighbor's property, I'm wondering if they can use that against him as he didn't invite or voluntary consent to having force used against him. Also, does anyone know if the 911 dispatcher has any jurisdiction? (ex: Could he be charged w/ failing to comply w/ a direct order?) I would really recommend listening to the entire 911 call as it puts it into perspective. Opinions?

Cliff notes on story: 61 year old TX resident witnesses 2 burglars breaking into his neighbor's house, and calls 911. The dispatcher tells him to remain inside, but the police have not arrived by the time the burglars are climbing back out of the house, so he goes outside to stop them and ends up killing them.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Joe Horn?

This is unequivocally murder, and he should go to prison. Any self-defense claim is complete [censored]. He was safe at home already. No one was burglarizing his house.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Texas law allows people to use deadly force to protect their own property to stop arson, burglary, robbery, theft or criminal mischief at night.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am so moving to Texas
Old 11-19-2007, 12:17 PM

Did you listen to the part of the recording after he shot them?
Old 11-19-2007, 12:18 PM

Nah, can't listen at work :\
Old 11-19-2007, 12:18 PM

"Minutes before he shot and killed two burglary suspects, a Pasadena man ignored repeated orders from a police dispatcher not to go outside with a shotgun.

On a 911 tape released Thursday, a dispatcher is heard asking Joe Horn to stay inside his home until police arrived. But Horn, who had called police about 2 p.m. Wednesday to report that he witnessed two men break into a neighbor's home, told the dispatcher he planned to "kill" the suspects.

"I'm not going to let them get away with it," said Horn, who reported being inside his home in the 7400 block of Timberline looking out a window. "I'm gonna shoot. I'm gonna shoot."

For approximately six minutes, the Pasadena police operator told Horn to remain in his home and repeatedly discouraged the 61-year-old man from taking his gun outside."

-------

Sounds like murder to me.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:26 PM

I will pay all moving expenses and 1 years rent to move this guy next door to me.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:27 PM

I wish he had of just told them to get on the ground first before he fired. He made a mistake by not giving them a chance to comply.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:32 PM

Yeah, I don't know... They were shot in his yard, less than 15 feet from him. I doubt he had much time for civilities.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I don't know... They were shot in his yard, less than 15 feet from him. I doubt he had much time for civilities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Were these guys even armed? It doesn't mention it in the article, which makes me think not.

That really makes the "it all happened so fast" excuse kind of disingenuous. Of course it happened fast, because he ambushed these guys and gunned them down without trying to arrest them or giving them a chance to surrender or flee.