Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Important info about vBulletin

pj is right.

The switch has been delayed to the first weekend of December. It will be that Sunday at 7 AM Eastern. The reason it won't be until then is primarily because of Thanksgiving.

Since I last posted about this we've made a number of further improvements and have taken steps to smooth out the import of posts and users to the new software. I fully expect things to go well this time around.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:05 PM

Ryan,

Any way of us, saving our favourite threads ?

vava
Old 11-09-2007, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ryan,

Any way of us, saving our favourite threads ?

vava

[/ QUOTE ]

LDO, my screenshot service.

Yours
Old 11-11-2007, 03:56 PM

When we switch over, can we get the following added to the smiley array?

kthnxbai
Old 11-11-2007, 04:26 PM

A popcorn guy, likely that one, will be part of the new smilies. Not sure about the other.

Vavavoom,

To clarify what I mean by losing your favorites, I'm just talking about the actual list of favorite threads in the panel not porting. Since it's only going to be 60 days worth of active threads that come with to vB, any favorites older than that wouldn't be useful in vB rergardless. PMs, favorites, posts and all the rest will remain as sort of an additional archive in UBB for the foreseeable too.

Also, those of you who mentioned you may have a problem if 2+2 stopped using a forum subdomain should be pleased to know that we did decide to keep using one.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:31 AM

Here's what you guys should do if you have access to a php programmer.

IN the vbulletin database you add a new table called old_favorites that has a user ID, thread URL, and thread title (user id and thread url are combo primary key). You write a couple line script that loops through each user ID in UBB and grabs their favorite thread IDs and titles.

You convert the thread ID into the proper archived URL location. For example a UBB thread ID may say 777634 so you'd convert it to http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/...read/ID/777623 (or whatever archive URL you guys are using) and insert that and the thread title into the old_favorites table for that persons vbulletin user ID.

Then in vBulletin you add a few lines to the "my home" php page that loops through the old_favorites field and displays a table of links to their old favorites.

It probably took me longer to type all this out than it would to develop the script. You just have to make sure each person in UBB has the same username in vbulletin so you can link their user IDs.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, those of you who mentioned you may have a problem if 2+2 stopped using a forum subdomain should be pleased to know that we did decide to keep using one.

[/ QUOTE ]

THANK YOU!
Old 11-12-2007, 01:55 PM

I'll take this up with Chuck. It may not be feasible since userids will change along with only using the display names. That may not be an issue with what you're suggesting, but linking userids through names seems dicey to me.

Regardless, at the end of the day spending time on getting UBB panel favorites into the vB panel doesn't seem useful. You're only dealing with a relatively small number of imported posts, and everything will still be available in UBB. The more worthwhile thing to look at would be the address book / buddy list.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:00 PM

Well the functionality can be duplicated for just about any feature that doesn't directly import which is a benefit to doing the initial code. Simply change favorite thread ID to whatever other field you want and the underlying looping, database reading/writing, and name matching code is already done for you. And for username, if you're unsure then you could do a match on username and password before inserting into the VB database.

What I described is really pretty simple (I'd expect someone halfway through an intro to PHP & MySQL class could do it) and shouldn't take a php programmer more than a few hours to get the code down. Then doing any additional field transfers should take an hour or less in modification time. If you do this, remember to set a huge page timeout value since it will take forever to loop through all 100K users.

And just because a thread is archived doesn't mean it's useless as a favorite. Think about the functionality of a favorite and why a person would prefer using it over using a web browser bookmark. Accessable from any computer at any location, doesn't take up any room in a huge list of bookmarked websites, won't be lost when you get a new computer, etc.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The more worthwhile thing to look at would be the address book / buddy list.

[/ QUOTE ]
does anyone use this?