Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 12:33 PM

Default Re: TV in the Lounge, Fall 07 Edition

BW is Wednesday, although I watched the preair On Demand and wrote a few comments four posts up.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:36 PM

Sarah Connor Chronicles: some info please. Is it a different actress? When is it set (between T1 and T2, or what?)

What's the plot? Terminators keep coming back for her?

ERm, it does involve the Sarah Connor from the Terminator movies, right?
Old 09-24-2007, 12:39 PM

Yes, you have the right Sarah Connor. I think it's set between T1 and T2, but I haven't seen this one yet.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:50 PM

The Office: Just got hooked on The Office this weekend, devoured all 24 episodes of season 2. Dwight absolutely kills me, his facial expressions and especially the looks he gives are excellent. Jim's my hero. Kelly and Michael drive me nuts.

House is, I admit, repetitive. But the guy keeps people honest and I like the quick pace, so I tune in when I can. I feel like this show makes people critically think about some stuff they normally wouldn't.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:44 PM

How I met your mother premieres tonight too.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:08 PM

Oh, K-Ville premieres tonight, too. I'll have to see about watching that one online since it overlaps with DwtS and Heroes.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:02 PM

No way K-Ville lasts more then one season if that.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:04 PM

For anyone who happens to be new to this thread, this is where I proceed to write more about ballroom dance than anyone other than Katy really cares to read. If you see any posts in here titled "Dancing with Wookie," feel free to skip over it.

Dancing with Wookie, 9/24/07

Here we are with another season. I agree w/ Katy that the cast of stars is weaker this season than others. There's no one I'm inclined to root for based on name alone. I guess we'll see how well they dance. We also apparently have Drew filling in as cohost for new mother Samantha. Good for her, although Drew could stand some more personality.

The pros kicked things off with a swing/quickstep routine. It was fine, but it was filled with all of the things I hate about ballroom's version of swing dancing: many steps and stylings considered standard for ballroom are considered bad habits (at best) in the lindy hop community. IMHO, lindy is one of the most masculine partner dances out there, but a lot of the ballroom styling tries to make the men look like women. Ah well. The one highlight I did catch from that bit is that Jerry Rice's old parter Anna is back! I always thought she was gorgeous, so I'm stoked to see her on the show again after skipping out last season.

First up, we have Jenny Garth and Derek Haugh, Julianne's brother. I didn't like their choice of songs (not really a cha cha song), but Jenny looked pretty good. She had surprisingly good hip action and arm styling. I agree with the judges that her foot placement, including keeping her feet together when they needed to be, could be better. What she really needs to work on wasn't mentioned by the judges, and that's her frame. Especially in the hip swivels, she wasn't connected with Derek at all. If she can get that going, Derek will better be able to put her where she needs to be. I think the 21 she got was a hair low, since I thought she looked good w/ her arms. I was thinking 22-23, but I can understand the judges being a little conservative for the first dancer on the first show.

Next up is Josie Maran with Alec Mazo. She gets foxtrot, which is probably a disadvantage, since cha cha will probably be better received by the voters. Man, Josie's rehearsal bits are scaring me. She might just bomb. Well, she did get better, and she got a bangin' outfit to help her along. She wasn't as good as Jenny, though. She got off step a couple times, her footwork was questionable at best, she could stand to keep her right elbow higher and firm up her frame, and she needs to project more personality. Len tore her a new one, wow. Since models haven't fared so well, and while she was bad, she wasn't so bad as to be endearing like BRC was, so I suspect she's a likely candidate to get the ax.

I'm not sure who this Sabrina is or what a Cheetah girl is, but I guess we'll see if she's any good. She seems to have some dance experience, albeit hip hop. I doubt Len will dig the integration with hip hop. Well, this girl has potential. I liked her rhythm, and she's bringing on the sex appeal. The hip hop thrown in worked surprsingly well, but it may have been a little much. Her footwork was very good, too. I think the 26 was expected since Len was bound to take off more for the hip hop. No way do the judges give 10s on the first show, so 26 is what she gets.

Next up is Marie Osmond with Jonathon, who may actually look too much like Donny Osmond. Her foxtrot wasn't bad, but I'd like to see her down lower, so she can take bigger steps. Foxtrot just doesn't look good with baby steps. She could work on her head position a fair bit, and the choreography was on the simple side, too. I think she'll struggle w/ the latin dances, but I agree w/ Carrie Ann that foxtrot suits her. I totally agree that the 21 she got was fair.

The Spice Girl got Katy's beloved Maxim. She's apparently the designated "hot workout clothes" girl this season, and unlike Miss America last season, she might hang out a little longer for us to enjoy them. And Katy will enjoy Max being around longer, too. She had good rhythm, and she needs to be more precise in her footwork, namely closing her feet on the lock steps. She wasn't as good as the Cheetah girl, but she could be a contender. I agree with the 24 she got.

And we wrap things up with Jane Seymour, aka, Dr. Quinn, Dancing Woman, doing foxtrot with DwtS veteran Tony. Oooooh. She's pretty good, too. She mentioned wanting to make the dance look effortless, and she more than succeeded. She looked light as a feather out there and extremely easy to dance with. I liked the choreography and her styling. This was the second best dance of the night, and the best foxtrot. I thought she deserved one nine amidst those 8s. She, too, might have trouble w/ the latin dances. That will decide whether DQDW or Ms. Osmond go home first.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:19 PM

The Bachelor is much better than Dancing with the Stars.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:40 PM

Maybe in an absolute sense, but not for a guy who actually does ballroom dancing.