Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2006, 05:02 PM

Default Buying goods from Chinese Factories/alibaba.com

I was looking at some goods on alibaba.com and I would like to ship some things over to see if I can sell them profitably. The possible products are hobby related and my outlet would be ebay+local hobby clubs -- and possibly a website later on.

I am not sure how to approach individual manufacturers and what to ask for in terms of shipping arrangements, minimum shipping quantities, specs, pictures. I am concerned that shipping/delivery will be too expensive. I am familiar with general Incoterm terms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incoterm) but don't know which to ask for.

I am hoping that someone can share their experiences in this regard. Has anyone tried anything similar and can offer advice?
Old 08-30-2006, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Buying goods from Chinese Factories/alibaba.com

I imported some good about two years ago from a company you are refering to. They had a minimum of $5000 order which is pretty standard and low by their accounts. They will give you a shipping cost or you can have someone pick up from them in China. You have a company take care of all that for you. You just pick up after its been lifted from the docks. The shipping is not bad and just needs to be factored into your products cost.

I suggest you find someone that speaks mandarin or cantonese. The english over there can often be misinterpreted.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Buying goods from Chinese Factories/alibaba.com

what about taxes?