Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2007, 01:16 AM

Default Re: pokerstars problem

This used to happen to me when i put in blue collar sessions....

I love how when pp did this everyone yells at pp but when stars does it its the OP needing to upgrade his stuff...

just a thought
Old 03-04-2007, 02:11 AM

then why does this not happen on Full tilt or on stars 3 weeks ago superjez?
Old 03-04-2007, 03:01 AM

Hi lowkey,

Lowkey I am only trying to offer some advice here off what little information I can gather from your posts (its very hard to give some concrete advice without actually being able to use your setup/see the problem in action myself). Running multiple monitors and multiple tables places a heavy strain on your system, most notably the graphics card and system memory (out of interest what are the specs of these things on your computer). The symptons you describe are in line with memory shortage problems so this led to my suggestion. I could not possibly say if it is your system memory or graphics card memory that would need upgraded. Both would certainly help. It COULD also be an operating system fault. It is not something inherent in windows XP however - win95/98/ME had some major inherent problems in this area (a particular resource stack was limited either 64 or 128k or something, I cannot remember the specifics). This was notorius as machines running these OSs would frequently run out of space no matter how powerful the system or wonderful the gfx card, causing the user to have to reboot before everything was sweet again. Infact these OSs were so bad in this regard it was possible to execute a simple line or two of code on a remote computer and crash any system running win9x simply by causing a stack overflow. Microsoft did however sort this out for WinXP and it is good in this regard if not in other security areas. However what might have happened is your OS has become corrupted in some way, a fresh reinstall would cure this. It could also be your graphics card driver, installing the latest one certainly could only help matters and I recommend you try this. As for actually blaming the software I dont think you can really do this. It is of course completely down to the programmers how efficient the software is in regarding its use of your system, but we just have to live with what they give us really. FWIW I have always found stars and FT software good in this regard, the old crypto software and tribeca software were probably the most resource intensive when it came to multiple tables. Based on what you have said I would say you should try the following (easiest/cheapest to do listed first)

1) Get the latest drivers for your video card.
2) Backup everything important and reinstall winXP
3) Upgrade the amount of system memory you have (this is probably easier and less time consuming than no 2 but it costs money)
4) Upgrade your graphics card
5) Give up 12 tabling and just goooo 1 table 100/200 NL

You probably know all this already sorry m8 I was just trying to clarify my thought process over your Q. Best of luck gettin it sorted.

Jez
Old 03-04-2007, 03:02 AM

Also try leaving 1 table open railbirding over night whilst you sleep. See if the problem is there in the morning. If its not try 2 the next night etc and see if you can narrow down the cause of the problem this way
Old 03-04-2007, 04:40 AM

thx for your help SuperJez... i just have a hard time seeing that it is my comps problem b/c i just reinstalled a few weeks ago... and my computer has a lot of memory.. and Pokerstars has ALWAYS run smoothly until one of there recent updates and other people \have just started experiencing this problem.. they said in an email they are working to fix this problem... I wish we could get Lee to comment on this...
Old 03-04-2007, 04:48 AM

Ok, I have not played on there for a month or two seriously, perhaps they have changed something about the graphic engine in the software.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:09 AM

I've experienced this problem as well. It happens when I leave Poker Stars running, my computer goes on standby, then i start up my comp. and open some tables.

Ive found i can avoid it if I make sure i close PS then reopen it after my comp has been on standby, or close PS before i shut my laptop.

Its probably a memory issue(i only have 512mb), but it never happened to me before the mid - feb update. I wrote PS explaining the problem and they said it was a firewall problem on my end.... it seems now they are admitting a bug in the software?
Old 03-04-2007, 08:35 AM

I have this same problem. Complete PITA. Happens to me every day at least 2-3 times when I'm playing sessions. It's definitely something that happened in the update because I have two computers set up with Pokerstars on them and it happens on both. It happened on neither a while back.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:43 AM

This problem happend to me aswell. If I keep less then 9 tables open it's no problem though.