Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2006, 11:45 AM

Default ETFs at IB or Vanguard Index funds?

It is time to start my portfolio. My money has been parked in high interest checking accounts for much too long. It's rather embarrassing, being a former Finance major. Investment amount is about 45K. I'm 26. My goal is to put together a decenlty diversified portfolio that leans international, and includes equities, REITs, and maybe some bonds/metals. Perhaps a portfolio similar to this one.

Right now, I am leaning towards IB. I could put together a nice group of ETFs but also have the abiliy to get back into trading some equities. A couple of years ago I swing traded some stocks and did decently well so I'm not completely green. Also, IB has a vast offering of ETFs, whereas Vanguard seems to have very measly index fund offering, - especially in the international area - ( Vanguard index funds ) and many funds charge $10 annually for each fund that has less than 10K.

On the other hand, Vanguard may be better. No $10 monthly fee (which I would probably hit at IB) Buying Funds is cheaper. (except for maybe Emerging Mkts fund that has a 0.5% purchase fee) ETFs generally have 0.05% lower expense ratios than equivelent Index Funds but that is only $22.5/year savings on 45K.

So... What do you guys think? IB or Vanguard?
Old 09-25-2006, 12:26 PM

Default Re: ETFs at IB or Vanguard Index funds?

I would suggest Vanguard. It has the best index funds available in many asset classes. There's no reason to stick to just one though.

I've used ETFs from a variety of companies, including Vanguard. The index fund vs. ETF debate is pretty complicated and rather pointless (switching doesn't make much difference).