Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 07:58 AM

Default Re: EU asking for a lot of money

stalled compensation talks

This link gives a better picture. I love the way the guy interviewed does not want to put a value on the concessions asked for.

In the negotiation phase it is the insurance industry that now needs to start lobbying for poker.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:13 AM

What I don't get is how Antigua gets to make up the 3.4 bil by selling pirated intellectual property.

It is the government that passed the law. Why should copyright holders have their property stolen because of a law that they had nothing to do with? The government should have to pay that money, not innocent businessmen.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What I don't get is how Antigua gets to make up the 3.4 bil by selling pirated intellectual property.

It is the government that passed the law. Why should copyright holders have their property stolen because of a law that they had nothing to do with? The government should have to pay that money, not innocent businessmen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to WTO sanctions...Please besure to write your Congressmen and tell everybody you know about how unfair it is...
Old 09-29-2007, 03:55 AM

"Unfair?" maybe - the sanctions are worked out to be equivalent in terms of economic damage to that country. Antigua has so little trade with the US because their economy is so small that to get "equivalence" they can target IPR.

The EU has enough trade with the US so they will ask for concessions in other industries first, the US will say no or not agree to enough, and then the sanctions list on real trade will be drawn up. This list will be "unfair" on specific industries but as they will target the constituencies of the anti gambling legislators and their donors it is the sort of unfairness I can live with.

Seriously someone should be telling the donors to anti gambling legislators that their pet politicians are putting them on the sanctions list. (See the steel row, the last time it got that far with the US and EU).
Old 09-29-2007, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is NO government money, those are tax dollars!

Every dime the government spends comes from us!

There is no magic pile of govmnt $$ like some wharehouse of govmnt cheese..............

God this idea drives me nuts.

Sorry,

D$D
Old 09-29-2007, 04:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no magic pile of govmnt $$ like some wharehouse of govmnt cheese..............

Sorry,

D$D

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the SOcial Security Trust fund is that. Its simply a pile of checks in a drawer at the Treasury. Its not taxpayer money, its just a figment of our monetary system the gov't could tear up if it wants.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Unfair?" maybe - the sanctions are worked out to be equivalent in terms of economic damage to that country. Antigua has so little trade with the US because their economy is so small that to get "equivalence" they can target IPR.

The EU has enough trade with the US so they will ask for concessions in other industries first, the US will say no or not agree to enough, and then the sanctions list on real trade will be drawn up. This list will be "unfair" on specific industries but as they will target the constituencies of the anti gambling legislators and their donors it is the sort of unfairness I can live with.

Seriously someone should be telling the donors to anti gambling legislators that their pet politicians are putting them on the sanctions list. (See the steel row, the last time it got that far with the US and EU).

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what sucks. If the EU went beef, steel, or even textiles and let it be known they would arbitrate for that this could be over tomorrow. The EU is playing this shrewd, and that may hurt us. The EU wants the concessions, not you or me on Party.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry,

D$D

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the SOcial Security Trust fund is that. Its simply a pile of checks in a drawer at the Treasury. Its not taxpayer money, its just a figment of our monetary system the gov't could tear up if it wants.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah Congress is at the top of the "writing checks with it's mouth it can't cash.........." list.

But if it has to cash any of those check who's a$$ do you think is on the line? Their's or ours?

I give you a hint they set up their own special retirement fund. They know the value of those checks.

D$D
Old 09-29-2007, 11:57 AM

Uh, the Social Security Trust Fund consists of U.S. Treasury obligations, backed by the full faith and credit of the U.S. Government. U.S. Treasury debt is still considered one of the very safest investments in the entire world. It would be blatantly unconstitutional under the Fourteenth Amendment for Congress to simply "tear it up."

It's such a myth that the Trust Fund consists of "worthless paper." Let's see, we have a surplus, that we want to use to keep Social Security solvent for as long as possible. Should we invest it in one of the safest investments in the world, namely U.S. Treasury obligations? Or should we just leave it as a pile of cash in a drawer somewhere, earning no interest whatsoever? Which one sounds like a better plan?
Old 09-29-2007, 01:22 PM

This really belongs someplace else, but what the heck.

OK, congress ‘borrows’ from the SS Trust Fund at 2% interest. That INTREST is paid back by, guess what, OUR own tax dollars.

So, that is the same as if you loan your wife $100.00 from your joint savings account and she pays it back from your joint checking account.

The stock market during any given 10-15 year period pays 10% on average, +/- 1-2%.

Where would I prefer MY SS money be held? Certainly not loaning my SS funds to congress to pay interest with my tax dollars. Why not, well, in the future, to pay back the loan and interest, my TAX dollars will simply be paying myself back.

Just another smoke and mirrors trick devised by congress….

obg

[ QUOTE ]
Uh, the Social Security Trust Fund consists of U.S. Treasury obligations, backed by the full faith and credit of the U.S. Government. U.S. Treasury debt is still considered one of the very safest investments in the entire world. It would be blatantly unconstitutional under the Fourteenth Amendment for Congress to simply "tear it up."

It's such a myth that the Trust Fund consists of "worthless paper." Let's see, we have a surplus, that we want to use to keep Social Security solvent for as long as possible. Should we invest it in one of the safest investments in the world, namely U.S. Treasury obligations? Or should we just leave it as a pile of cash in a drawer somewhere, earning no interest whatsoever? Which one sounds like a better plan?

[/ QUOTE ]