Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2007, 12:08 AM

Default Re: Politicians For and Against Online Poker, August 29, 2007

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
thank you!

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad to help. I hope we can all make good use of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you see Warner R-VA decided not to seek re-election?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=14089213

D$D
Old 09-09-2007, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
thank you!

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad to help. I hope we can all make good use of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you see Warner R-VA decided not to seek re-election?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=14089213

D$D

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the link. Yes, we posted it somewhere here when John Warner made his announcement.

I don't know where Mark Warner stands, but it should improve our overall situation.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Summary (9/8/07):

<font color="white">.....................</font> Dem<font color="white">.....</font>Rep

with us<font color="white">............</font>112<font color="white">......</font>15
neutral<font color="white">............</font>108<font color="white">......</font>72
against us<font color="white">.........</font>17<font color="white">.....</font>114

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you done any math on most vunerable of those against us, and a look at the netrual? I'd be happy to help if you want.

D$D

[/ QUOTE ]

D$D, I analyzed the Cook report's take on "vulnerable" seats about a month ago. There is a new one out with a few minor changes, feel free to use the Aug 06 and update it if you have time, I can do it tomorrow if you want.

Some good news folks, Cook Politcal Report published their first 2008 House report seats in jeapordy and 9 "F rated" reps are at risk:

Feel free to copy this anywhere you wish, I think it's some good info.

http://www.cookpolitical.com/races/r..._race_aug6.pdf

Here is the list with Engineer's ranking for at risk seats. As things get closer we should look at pouncing on the following: CO-04 Marilyn Musgrave F* ,CT--04 Christopher Shays F-, IL-10 Mark Kirk F, NM-01 Heather Wilson F*, NY-25 Jim Walsh F, NY-29 Randy Kuhl F*, NC-08 Robin Hayes F*, OH-01 Steve Chabot F*, WY-AL Barbara Cubin*# R F-

Republicans in a fight for their seat

DISTRICT REPRESENTATIVE
AK-AL Don Young*# A
CA-04 John Doolittle# ?-
CO-04 Marilyn Musgrave F*
CT--04 Christopher Shays F-
IL-10 Mark Kirk F
NV-03 Jon Porter A-
NJ-07 Mike Ferguson ?-
NM-01 Heather Wilson F*
NY-25 Jim Walsh F
NY-29 Randy Kuhl F*
NC-08 Robin Hayes F*
OH-01 Steve Chabot F*
OH-15 Deborah Pryce ?-
PA-06 Jim Gerlach ?-
WA-08 Dave Reichert ?-
WY-AL Barbara Cubin*# R F-

For the Democrats they list 13 in jeapordy, mostly neutral except for Nancy Bodya, a "B"

Democrats in a fight for their seat

DISTRICT REPRESENTATIVE
AZ-05 Harry Mitchell ?
CA-11 Jerry McNerney ?
FL-16 Tim Mahoney ?
GA-08 Jim Marshall ?-
KS-02 Nancy Boyda B
NH-01 Carol Shea-Porter ?
NY-19 John Hall ?
NY-20 Kirsten Gillibrand ?
OH-18 Zack Space ?
PA-04 Jason Altmire ?
PA-10 Chris Carney ?
TX-22 Nick Lampson ?
WI-08 Steve Kagen ?
Old 09-09-2007, 01:11 AM

Does anyone find it funny that Texas is against online Texas Hold 'em?
Old 09-09-2007, 02:02 AM

I think if we can't get a behind the scenes promise form the Dems we may have to oppose 2-3 for the sake of appearance. And, I think a lot of us are trying not to gag at the thought of handing the Dems the biggest functional majority in Congress since FDR.

And the part about Hagel not running again, do you read into that a Presidential/VP run. I know he gets along with Bloomberg, and he has some of the best anti-Iraq credentials among Republicans with standing.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:12 PM

One more current Republican Senate seat in trouble....

www.politico.com/blogs/thecrypt/0907/Warner_announcing_run_for_Senate_tomorrow.html

Warner announcing Senate run

Former Virginia governor Mark Warner (D) will announce that he will be running for the Senate tomorrow morning, according to two sources familiar with Warner's thinking.

“He’s been weighing his options very heavily, and he feels like the biggest challenge for him right now is in the Senate,” a source close to Warner told the Politico.

He will not be making a public announcement tomorrow, only sending his e-mail announcement to supporters tomorrow morning informing them of his decision to run for the Senate.

Warner’s entry in the race gives the Democrats a golden opportunity to capture a Senate seat that has been in GOP hands for the past three decades. In his 2001 race for governor, Warner not only won the vote-rich Northern Virginia suburbs by large margins, but also carried traditionally Republican strongholds in rural Southwest Virginia.

Democrats had been heavily recruiting Warner to run for the Senate seat, as he mulled between that and running for governor again in 2009. They are hoping he can repeat his political success at the Congressional level in a state that has been trending Democratic in recent years.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:40 AM

TE, Good work, and thanks. FYI, John Conyers of Michigan, introduced some legislation to study online gambling, a few times in the early years of this decade.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:27 PM

I just got a snail mail letter back from my congressman. It was hand signed too (not by computer, but an actual blue marker). Not sure if that is normal.

Dear XXXX:

Thank you for contacting me regarding you support of Internet gambling. I appreciate you making me aware of your views on the issue.

Last year I voted against legislation to restrict Internet gambling at the federal level because I do not believe the federal government should regulate interstate or international gambling that takes place over the internet. This provision was later included in a larger port security bill, which passed by a large margin. The legality and regulation of gambling is first and foremost a matter of state law that varies considerably from state to state.

While I do not serve on the House Energe and Commerce Committee, which has jurisdiction over legislation relating to the regulation of internet gambling, you may be certain that I will keep your concerns in mind should further legislation regarding this matter come before the full House of Representatives for a vote.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future on any matter of importance to you.

Sincerely, Doc Hastings

Hastings is currently an A-.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:08 PM

Also:

Former Democratic Gov. Jeanne Shaheen has confirmed a report published last night on the Union-Leader's website that she plans to seek a rematch with first-term GOP Sen. John Sununu. Her announcement puts another Republican-held Senate seat into the Toss Up column.

Shaheen's announcement caps off an extraordinary week of good news for Democrats. Nebraska GOP Sen. Chuck Hagel's announcement Monday that he would retire opens up a potential opportunity for Democrats, particularly if former Sen. Bob Kerrey runs. On Thursday, former Democratic Gov. Mark Warner announced he would seek the open seat in Virginia where GOP Sen. John Warner is retiring, giving the party a tremendous boost there
Old 09-19-2007, 07:42 PM

Constituent letter:

[ QUOTE ]
Dear Fnurt:

Thank you for contacting me with your thoughts on H.R. 2046, the Internet Gambling Regulation and Enforcement Act of 2007. As your representative in Congress I appreciate hearing from you, and welcome the opportunity to respond.

The Internet Gambling Regulation and Enforcement Act of 2007 would establish an internet gaming licensing program that would make internet gambling legal again, and create a means to regulate it. H.R. 2046 has been referred to the subcommittee on Commerce, Trade, and Consumer Protection of the Energy and Commerce Committee. Should this bill come to the floor of the House for a vote, I will keep your thoughts in mind.

Again, I thank you for sharing your views with me. Please be in touch in the future regarding this or any other issue.

Sincerely,

Carolyn B. Maloney [NY-14]

[/ QUOTE ]

For your information, of course.