Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2007, 05:45 PM

Default Re: Moving to LA to play pro @ commerce? (long)

This poster has caught the clue train. If you don't like variance, you don't have any business at Commerce. The maniacs in these games will roll right over you. You must work on the bankroll/variance issues first.

As long as I'm posting, I'll add my tiny note of negativity. Los Angeles is expensive and ugly. I don't know when I've seen a less attractive large city. So I just don't see it. If you're stressed by variance, and then you're getting hit by the huge rental/mortage prices, I don't see why it would encourage the average person to do anything but eat the nearest gun.

The poker rate at Commerce just isn't that bad, especially if you can get a buddy to share with you, and you wouldn't need a car. Just play until you're sick of the live crap and then you can pick up and go and in the end it would cost you less than renting for a few months in my humble opinion. So I vote with the guy who says, just live at the Commerce.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Only reason I havent moved up is my relativly low bankroll and fear of variance.

[/ QUOTE ]
You really need to get these under control before you start playing full time for a living. The games in L.A. are great but are wild and you will experience a ton of variance. If you are beating the online games for that winrate, you will crush the mid limit games in L.A. I live in Vegas and can find a great 30/60 game at the Bellagio any day of the week. However, from my limited experience, the games at the commerce are much better. Good luck to you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-23-2007, 05:56 PM

If you move to LA can you please tell me what is good to eat at Commerce. I pretty much hate everything I have ever had there and basically try to not eat when I'm there now. I can't stand even the old faithful fruit plates because it's like they microwave the [censored] fruit or something. Canteloupe is somewhat edible. The bananas are nuclear powered, the watermelon is orange half the time. Everything else is just plain awful.

BTW other people replying, op plays online, it's not like he has never seen an aggressive game before. Unless he spends a lot of money he is likely very rolled for whatever games he would play there.

If I was good at poker or had the work ethic to put in hours online like I can live then I would do that but I don't so I have to play live. I guess you might love it but you might hate it as well. I suppose the only way to find out is to try. If you just live at Commerce I'm sure there is some way to get some sort of tax break on it if you are filing as a pro? I'm sure other people know better than me about this sort of thing.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you move to LA can you please tell me what is good to eat at Commerce. I pretty much hate everything I have ever had there and basically try to not eat when I'm there now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the kabobs are pretty decent.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:26 PM

There's a fried Korean flat fish that's really good. Also there's an Asian duck with a lot of bones in it, I think Chinese, that's really tasty. I agree that California fruit is often surprisingly commercial and bad, and they have all those huge watery tasteless fresh fruits in abundance at Commerce. (Sorry to those who like it, whose numbers are apparently legion.)

Yes, you have to file as a pro to deduct food/hotel expenses. However, if you rented an apartment or bought a house, you couldn't deduct the expenses at all, except for a dedicated home office area, pro or no pro. So that's another good argument for just staying at Commerce rather than buying or renting a condo. Taxes.

If you are a Priority Club member and stay there so many days in a year, then you are supposed to get suite upgrades at the Crowne Plazas and Intercontinentals that have them, but I haven't yet tried this at Commerce. I bet someone else has though. Keep it bumped and maybe they'll tell us what the suites are like. You don't have to get all your Priority Club points at Commerce of course. The poker rate defiitely qualifies for accumulating points, but boy it takes awhile to get enough for a free night compared to some programs. I am leaving the country soon and won't be able to get in enough points this year to find out for myself.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:13 PM

You guys are wrong. This guy plays 5-10 and 10-20 6-max on the internet. He may fear variance but he's already experienced a heavy dose, much more so than he's going to suffer at any live poker room given that his edge is going to be so much bigger.

-Michael
Old 09-24-2007, 03:28 AM

Right... Its all relative.

I fear high stakes limit 6-max online variance..
Im not afraid of any and all variance in general.

Howmany, I really liked the atlantic salmon when I went.
I had atlantic salmon, steamed broccoli , yellow rice + fruit plate frequently for dinner and loved it.

Fruit plate wasnt amazing, but id gladly take it for free compared to like 15$ for a smaller plate at the wynn.

Thanks again for the thoughts guys, I think its pretty likely ill stay at LA for at least 2-3 months.. Probabily happen in 3-6 months. Craigslist looks promising
Old 09-24-2007, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Right... Its all relative.

I fear high stakes limit 6-max online variance..
Im not afraid of any and all variance in general.

Howmany, I really liked the atlantic salmon when I went.
I had atlantic salmon, steamed broccoli , yellow rice + fruit plate frequently for dinner and loved it.

Fruit plate wasnt amazing, but id gladly take it for free compared to like 15$ for a smaller plate at the wynn.

Thanks again for the thoughts guys, I think its pretty likely ill stay at LA for at least 2-3 months.. Probabily happen in 3-6 months. Craigslist looks promising

[/ QUOTE ]

Heis,

dont listen to these nits telling you about variance at the Commerce. The 20/40 plays like a 2/4 online game. If you come from a online 6max background you are totally used to the swing. The biggest adjustment will be just getting bored out of your mind for all the sitting and waiting on a hand. I would suggest playing late night where there are more sh games, though Commerce fish are notorious about not wanting to play sh. The 40 is a bit more aggressive, but plays like 3/6 online.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Only reason I havent moved up is my relativly low bankroll and fear of variance.

[/ QUOTE ]
You really need to get these under control before you start playing full time for a living. The games in L.A. are great but are wild and you will experience a ton of variance. If you are beating the online games for that winrate, you will crush the mid limit games in L.A. I live in Vegas and can find a great 30/60 game at the Bellagio any day of the week. However, from my limited experience, the games at the commerce are much better. Good luck to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, Heisenb3rg has nothing to worry about. He has already seen higher variance swings than most live players will see in their whole life, and he is still a winner. Bankroll management is relitive because he was talking about moving up online, he has enough of a roll for Commerce midlimit + games. Heisenb3rg is an excellent player trying something new... he isnt a home town hero.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:04 PM

Then if he wasn't worried about limited bankroll/variance, he shouldn't have said in the OP that he was. Terribly, terribly rude to give wrong information and then to yell at other people (or have his buddies yell) for giving answers based on his own post. Next time, if someone has a question, I suggest that they give accurate information instead of expecting us to read his mind over the fabulous interweb. It's just the polite thing to do.

He said and I quote: Only reason I havent moved up is my relativly low bankroll and fear of variance.

We have to respond on that basis. If you don't like a targeted answer, frame your questions better. Jeebus.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Then if he wasn't worried about limited bankroll/variance, he shouldn't have said in the OP that he was. Terribly, terribly rude to give wrong information and then to yell at other people (or have his buddies yell) for giving answers based on his own post. Next time, if someone has a question, I suggest that they give accurate information instead of expecting us to read his mind over the fabulous interweb. It's just the polite thing to do.

He said and I quote: Only reason I havent moved up is my relativly low bankroll and fear of variance.

We have to respond on that basis. If you don't like a targeted answer, frame your questions better. Jeebus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not his fault you B&M nits can't do math:
[ QUOTE ]

multitable 5/10-15/30 stars 6-max online for a living..
I have obtained a healthy winrate at these games just under 2BB/100 over 150k hands for the time ive been pro, so I have the tools to beat moderatly tough limit games.

[/ QUOTE ]