Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 12:59 PM
KingBenno KingBenno is offline
Member

Location: UK
Default Re: WCOOP main event sensation - winner under investigation

1. The account that won the WCOOP main event was played from the same computer and the same IP from the start of the tournament until the finish.
2. No other account played from this same IP or computer, during the tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then what's the problem??? Originally it was stated that there was a player playing from the same IP address, he busted out and then his sister won. So the accusation is that after he busted out he took over for the sister and finished playing the game, winning.

If they didn't play from the same IP, then why would it even come to being suspicious? Just because it's his sister? I just don't understand why the accusation came out. I'm thinking it's only because it happens to be his sister and thus, RIGGED seems to be the only possible answer to the masses.

Innocent, IMO.

Excellent Analysis... You are quite the perspicacious one...You clearly know all the relevant facts, which you have used expertly to come to this stupendous conclusion.

A+
Old 10-05-2007, 01:29 PM
linuxrocks linuxrocks is offline

1. The account that won the WCOOP main event was played from the same computer and the same IP from the start of the tournament until the finish.
2. No other account played from this same IP or computer, during the tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then what's the problem??? Originally it was stated that there was a player playing from the same IP address, he busted out and then his sister won. So the accusation is that after he busted out he took over for the sister and finished playing the game, winning.

If they didn't play from the same IP, then why would it even come to being suspicious? Just because it's his sister? I just don't understand why the accusation came out. I'm thinking it's only because it happens to be his sister and thus, RIGGED seems to be the only possible answer to the masses.

Innocent, IMO.

Dude there's lot to multi-accounting than establishing that one plays from a single IP and Computer. He might be remotely watching/controlling his "other" accounts. Is there a possibility of some collusion/chip dumping etc.? Is it really a legit account or not? How is it funded?
Old 10-05-2007, 01:51 PM
jimpo jimpo is offline

Location: 128

Has anyone sent Stars an email asking them about this? I doubt they will say anything but it would be funny to see what they have to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for your email.

Rest assured that accounts that are "in the loop" such as the WCOOP Main Event winner are very carefully reviewed and investigated.

Also, please note that Chris Moneymaker won the WSOP being that his first major event ever... just an FYI.

Let us know if you have further questions or concerns.

Regards,

Julio
PokerStars Support Team

[/ QUOTE ]
what a dispicable response, i'd prefer no response at all than that patronising BS

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a feeling you just got levelled

[/ QUOTE ]

email is real
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 20:41:49 -0400
From: "PokerStars Support" <support@pokerstars.com>

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case, wow that is a terrible reply and I take it back [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand how you can tell if the reply is terrible or brilliant, if you haven't seen the original message.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:36 PM
ammbo ammbo is offline
Member

It would be so easy to impliment a security feature that doesn't allow the same ip address to enter a MTT. Why isn't it there?

[/ QUOTE ]

because there a lot of legit reasons to do that and they certainly dont want to shut out legit customers

also it'd be really easy to work around if you were a cheater

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I'm aware that most people could navigate around this feature, but that doesn't explain why it's not there. It would be easy to have this as a default setting, and if you have special circumstances, simply contact support and get the block removed. It would also stop the cheaters who have no idea how to route to a new IP address.

[/ QUOTE ]

IP addresses are not unique. If you connect through the same router as someone else you will have the same IP address. In fact, everyone who connects to the internet through certain ISPs (especially AOL) all appear to have the same IP. The ISP connects everyone to the web through the same proxy server. IP addresses are a very unreliable way to identify individual users.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:31 PM
HostJacob HostJacob is offline
Member

Location: PokerStars Support

Has anyone sent Stars an email asking them about this? I doubt they will say anything but it would be funny to see what they have to say.

Thank you for your email.

Rest assured that accounts that are "in the loop" such as the WCOOP Main Event winner are very carefully reviewed and investigated.

Also, please note that Chris Moneymaker won the WSOP being that his first major event ever... just an FYI.

Let us know if you have further questions or concerns.

Regards,

Julio
PokerStars Support Team

what a dispicable response, i'd prefer no response at all than that patronising BS

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi everyone:

I just wanted to post about this response; the email in question was received by our support staff very early in the investigation process, which is being handled by our game security staff (namely, StephenW as he has already advised). At that time, front line support staff was unaware of the investigation, and that led to this response, which is definitely not up to our usual standards, or in any way reflective of how seriously this matter is being taken.

Thanks all for your understanding regarding this matter.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:36 PM
pdjplano pdjplano is offline

[...]

i'm the person they sent the original response to, and Stars has indeed sent follow-up emails to me which are much more 'professional' than the first. Similar to what you see in other emails here, they continue to stress that they are pursuing it and consider it a very serious matter.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:48 PM
Mischman Mischman is offline

[...]

Is he still part of the *support* staff?
Old 10-05-2007, 04:22 PM
RioGossiper RioGossiper is offline
Member

Somebody updated his wiki, lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Teltscher

If you look at the changes they are quite amusing.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:38 PM
Radford999 Radford999 is offline
Junior Member

I've emailed them before about this because me and my dad live in the same household and use the same Internet. They said it's fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true. I've emailed them about the same thing (a friend came over with his PC and we planned an online poker session together). Pokerstars responded that we can play from the same IP address as long as we don't enter the same MTT, cash table or SNG.

Just ask yourself what would happen if you and your dad wind up at the same table (maybe FT) deep in a MTT. Who can stop you from telling each other's cards .. or worse, dumping off some chips to give yourself a higher chance at a bigger payout?

Multiple accounts in one MTT is wrong. Period.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it is true. I've emailed them before and asked them too see if it was ok with us playing in the same MTT. They said it was fine.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:05 PM
gobbomom gobbomom is offline

Location: gobboville

[ QUOTE ]
Somebody updated his wiki, lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Teltscher

If you look at the changes they are quite amusing.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, that's awesome.
Closed Thread