1 - 20% 1 1.69%
21 - 50% 0 0%
51 - 80% 4 6.78%
81 - 94% 23 38.98%
95 - 99% 29 49.15%
unsure 2 3.39%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2006, 07:36 PM

Default Re: Should better votes have more weight?

[ QUOTE ]
Post Hoc fallacy ?

Maybe more prisoners are religous because they realized that they screwed up in life and actualy see the need for divine forgiveness.

[/ QUOTE ]98% of atheists turn religious when they go to prison?
Old 11-03-2006, 07:40 PM

Of course I wouldnt have posted an agressive reply if you hadnt posted " anonymous ppl with * and no avatar are not allowed to post sarcasm".
Also if youre not going to take my post seriously then why bother to reply them.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone's vote should be equally worthless. Democracy sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone's vote is equally worthless. Democracy sucks.

I adjusted your post to fit the facts. I hope you don't mind. Thanks.

-Zeno
Old 11-03-2006, 07:54 PM

Even if I have a nobel prize on economy, Im still a human being that probably has a wife and 3 childrens. And maybe a dog and/or a mistress.
As a human being I will put my intrest and those of my family before the intrest of everyone else
For that reason I think that if we are stuck in this crappy democratic system everyone should get a vote.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:02 PM

Do you think a poor black innercity neighborhood is crimeridden because they are baptists? Or is it more likely the fact they live in poverty and have limited education.

I suspect the elitest blogging internet athiest crowd isn't committing crimes because they are too busy leveling their White Mage Barbarian in World of Warcraft to go outdoors and do something wrong. I'm not sure their lack of a belief of in a god comes into play in the decision making.

The point being, I don't know that such a generic statistic such as the one referred to in this thread is meaningful.

If you compared crimerates within a demographic with athiests vs. religious folk, maybe that'd be more telling.

I'm not drawing any conclusions, aside from I don't think that general statistic can give any meaningful conclusions.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course I wouldnt have posted an agressive reply if you hadnt posted " anonymous ppl with * and no avatar are not allowed to post sarcasm".

[/ QUOTE ]It was a joke.[ QUOTE ]
Also if youre not going to take my post seriously then why bother to reply them.

[/ QUOTE ]I already answered that question.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think a poor black innercity neighborhood is crimeridden because they are baptists? Or is it more likely the fact they live in poverty and have limited education.

I suspect the elitest blogging internet athiest crowd isn't committing crimes because they are too busy leveling their White Mage Barbarian in World of Warcraft to go outdoors and do something wrong. I'm not sure their lack of a belief of in a god comes into play in the decision making.

The point being, I don't know that such a generic statistic such as the one referred to in this thread is meaningful.

If you compared crimerates within a demographic with athiests vs. religious folk, maybe that'd be more telling.

I'm not drawing any conclusions, aside from I don't think that general statistic can give any meaningful conclusions.

[/ QUOTE ]Undoubtedly there are other factors at play here- which I even mentioned in my original post.

However 10% vs. 0.2% is much more of a dramatic difference than anything such as wealth or education is ever shown to account for.

Also, there aren't barbarians in warcraft. Even if there were, you couldn't be one and a mage at the same time.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Atheists/agnostics, even though they make up approximately 10% of the American population, only make up 0.2% of the prison population.

http://www.skepticfiles.org/american/prison.htm

The explanation for those numbers put forth by Professor Root is that "Indifference to religion, due to thought, strengthens character".

Oh, and divorce rates are lower for the non-religious are lower than for any religious group (Jews, Catholics, Protestants, etc.). I think it's like 21% vs. 26%.

Of course a lot of this is likely just differences in education (the more educated you are the more likely you are to be atheist, and less likely to commit crimes) but I don't know how successfully you separate and measure the three.

Subjectively, having been raised by a baptist pastor and then becoming an atheist, I see a lot more compassion and deliberation over what's right and wrong among my atheist friends.

I'd like the above poster to give his definition of morality.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was part of the 0.2% [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2006, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

However 10% vs. 0.2% is much more of a dramatic difference than anything such as wealth or education is ever shown to account for.

Also, there aren't barbarians in warcraft. Even if there were, you couldn't be one and a mage at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really, you don't think wealth and education can create a 50/1 education. I gave a half-ass search for statistics on the issue, but came up empty. But common sense says that money solves a lot of the problems that are the motivation for a large number of crimes.

I think a statistic that may make the counter argument would be the crimerate of PGA golfers vs. the crime rate of NBA players. Are PGA golfers less likely to commit crimes because they play golf and not basketball? Or is it because of the demographics that make up the two groups?
Old 11-03-2006, 09:01 PM

Of course there will be differences between golfers and NBA players. I've said that three times now. However the rates will not be anywhere close to a 50-1 ratio.