Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 12:15 PM

Default Re: my solution to the gay marriage argument

[ QUOTE ]
I want the state to insure the success of the next generation, a task uniquely suited to hetrosexuals. I can think of few interests greater.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if there is gay marriage, you believe that people will stop having kids. Riiiiiiigggggghhhhhhhttttttttttttt... And if everyone in the entire world didn't want kids, what does it matter to you? Have your own kids and they'll be the only ones left. Your family wins it all.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I want the state to insure the success of the next generation, a task uniquely suited to hetrosexuals.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think the reason that people have kids is because of the gubmint benefits of legalized marriage?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you so foolish as to assume that tax law does not alter behavior? I'm guessing yes.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your logic is about the same as saying: Blacks shouldn't be allowed to vote, because if they were allowed to, then you might have Asians pretending to be black and voting as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you don't believe Asians should have the right to vote? I see...
Old 11-21-2007, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No, I want to know the people's view on polygamy.

What's yours?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't particularly care for it.

But I don't want to impose my values on others at the point of a gun.

If minors are being taken advantage of, that is a different story and I might get a gun to help them if needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bravo. Perfect answer.

natedogg
Old 11-21-2007, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I want the state to insure the success of the next generation, a task uniquely suited to hetrosexuals.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think the reason that people have kids is because of the gubmint benefits of legalized marriage?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you so foolish as to assume that tax law does not alter behavior? I'm guessing yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you so foolish as to assume that tax law motivates people to have sex? I'm guessing no and you are just being an obtuse ass.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you so foolish as to assume that single people can't get gubmint benefits from claiming children as dependents?
Old 11-21-2007, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I want the state to insure the success of the next generation, a task uniquely suited to hetrosexuals. I can think of few interests greater.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if there is gay marriage, you believe that people will stop having kids.

[/ QUOTE ]

In 5000 years of civilized human history there exists no analogous precedent from which to judge. It's clear no one knows how it all shakes out nor exactly what stakes we're playing for. Except you, of course.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

What's yours?

[/ QUOTE ]

Polygamists should have to choose 1 spouse to whom "marriage" benefits should pass.

There are legitimate state interests in limiting the scope of marriage to two individuals. There are not legitimate state interests in limiting the scope of marriage to people of different genders (as discriminating on the basis of gender is not a legitimate state interest.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I just want to point out that the state has all kinds of interests that it should not be allowed to enforce on the people. "State interest" is just not a justification for anything.

natedogg
Old 11-21-2007, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sadly, your opinion on where those lines are to be drawn goes against a vast majority of the rest of the public.

[/ QUOTE ]

The vast majority are pro polygamy?

Second, why is it "Sad" that his opinion is different then the vast public? Is the opinions of the vast public significant? The vast public believes in UFOs... are they real? America's Funniest Home Videos was in the top 10 for several years when it was on... does that mean its the pinnacle of television? Is it your contention that opinions are more important then any overlying rational philosophy?

[ QUOTE ]
You did a fantastic job supporting that opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is sheer irony. You're the guy who thinks his opinion is more important then the results of any studies. You seem to think your opinion is evidence enough...

[ QUOTE ]
This might not be true for women, but I wholeheartedly believe that if men were legally allowed to marry other men, you'd see bachelors snatching up $12 marriage licenses left and right and entering into legal contracts with other bachelor friends for the tax benefits. Now, you have to consider what that would do to private benefit packages offered by employers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. You 'wholeheartedly believe it'?!?!? then it must be true. Enough said.

[ QUOTE ]
If I'm single and my best friend is a government employee, what's stopping me from paying my $12 for our marriage license so I can get put on to his healthcare plan?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing. I support you. Marry any dude you want. Meanwhile I suspect most men will hold out to find a woman they want to marry and gay guys will wait to find partners they want to spend their life with. But if you want to live with some dude to share his benefits good for you.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

What's yours?

[/ QUOTE ]

Polygamists should have to choose 1 spouse to whom "marriage" benefits should pass.

There are legitimate state interests in limiting the scope of marriage to two individuals. There are not legitimate state interests in limiting the scope of marriage to people of different genders (as discriminating on the basis of gender is not a legitimate state interest.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I just want to point out that the state has all kinds of interests that it should not be allowed to enforce on the people. "State interest" is just not a justification for anything.

natedogg

[/ QUOTE ]

"State interest" is just not a justification for everything.