Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit

Old 11-29-2007, 02:29 PM

Default Preflop against a Maniac.

The Maniac is in the Hijack. He raises almost everyhand. Very aggressive on the flop and turn but strangely turns passive on river unless he has the nuts. Gives a lot of free showdowns(mostly because he doesn't have anything). He will always cap the betting given the chance preflop.

The blinds are super loose and will most likely call even if it is three bets to them.

I am on the button. How do you play these hands? My image doesn't matter to these people.

1)ATo
2)A8o
3)KJs
4)88
5)66
6)JTs
7)QJo
Old 11-29-2007, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Preflop against a Maniac.

1) i'd 3bet
2) i'd fold but i guess 3betting is playable also
3) i'd either 3bet or coldcall; with 3betting being playable
4) 3bet
5) 3bet or fold
6) coldcall or fold
7) fold

if the blinds are calling any two cards even when it's 3bets to them, your position on the button is obviously very important and the ace high and pocket pair hands are ahead of everybody's range. i suspect the blinds are actually going to fold some here but that's not really the point. the king high and middle-y hands i'm not as sure about so i'm more conservative with those. this is a profitable but high-variance spot to be in at the table -- good luck!
Old 11-29-2007, 04:26 PM

1) 3 bet
2) fold with these blinds, usually 3 bet.
3) fist pump 3 bet
4) 3
5) 3 betting and cold calling are both fine. 3 bet with blinds that have a fold button.
6) "" but be more inclined to cold call
7) fold
Old 11-29-2007, 10:22 PM

1)3b
2)3b
3)3b
4)3b
5)3b
6)3b
7)3b
Old 11-30-2007, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1)3b
2)3b
3)3b
4)3b
5)3b
6)3b
7)3b

[/ QUOTE ]
You are ahead of ATC here. I would want a favorable flop if either or both blinds call. But if you manage to get HU, I press my pairs and go to battle if I hit any piece of the flop with the other hands. With the Ax hands I call down post flop as maniac is crazy post flop too.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:53 AM

I 3-bet all of these. If it was folded to me I would be raising anyway against these Blinds. The addition of the maniac only helps you b/c you are way ahead of him and you stand to make alot of money with his predictable pattern and your position.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Maniac is in the Hijack. He raises almost everyhand. Very aggressive on the flop and turn but strangely turns passive on river unless he has the nuts. Gives a lot of free showdowns(mostly because he doesn't have anything). He will always cap the betting given the chance preflop.

The blinds are super loose and will most likely call even if it is three bets to them.

I am on the button. How do you play these hands? My image doesn't matter to these people.

1)ATo
2)A8o
3)KJs
4)88
5)66
6)JTs
7)QJo

[/ QUOTE ]

Going against the crowd big time here. Most of these are folds in this type of game. Don't try to outbet maniacs in multi-way pots with marginal hands just because you are ahead of their range. You only play the very best hands in these types of games. See Sklansky's advice for playing in wild games. I think what you describe qualifies.

If the blinds were tight then most of these hands would be 3 bets vs an open raise from the hijack.

88 is really the only close call here. 66 wants at least 5 way action to call more than one bet and you'd be looking at only 4 way. The weakest hands in this group are A8o and QJo, the two most likely to be dominated.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1)3b
2)3b
3)3b
4)3b
5)3b
6)3b
7)3b

[/ QUOTE ]

YES YES YES!!!!
Old 12-01-2007, 12:39 PM

I would cold call with J high (and maybe Q high), but snap 3 bet the rest.