Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2007, 04:01 AM

Default Setting up a Canadian proxy server

I've been researching for a while now on setting up a proxy server in Canada that would make my IP address appear to come from Canada (for poker playing purposes), but there doesn't seem to be a real clear way to set this up. I've also read that you have to trust the owner of the proxy 100% because they could compromise some of the sensitive data you would be sending through the proxy.

My questions are as follows:

1. Would it be possible to physically set up my own proxy in Canada, specifically Vancouver?

2. Could I pay a tech guru to do this for me?

3. How much would something like this cost initially and monthly to maintain?

4. Is the proxy 100% foolproof and would it be able to avoid detection from poker sites that don't take US players?

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:21 PM

Default Re: Setting up a Canadian proxy server

[ QUOTE ]
1. Would it be possible to physically set up my own proxy in Canada, specifically Vancouver?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't want a proxy. Proxies will redirect web ports (TCP 80 and TCP 443), and typically lobbies are 80 and login info/tables are 443. The problem is Party also "phones home" on other UDP ports. A proxy will allow you to connect, sure...but the site can easily tell you are going through a proxy. Weather they will care or not is another story but I wouldn't trust going through a proxy. What you need is a VPN so that *all* your traffic is redirected through the remote computer. Yes, you can set up a VPN server in Vancouver.

[ QUOTE ]
2. Could I pay a tech guru to do this for me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
3. How much would something like this cost initially and monthly to maintain?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the tech and the service. I've set up for HSNLers before on their own dedicated server in a top-notch data center in Vancouver and the monthly was $69 to the data center company. You want a solid data center w/ redundant internet connections from multiple providers, backup generators and UPS's to run during power outages, climate/dust controlled environment, physical security, good customer service, etc. "Joe's hosting and sandwich shop" would be cheaper, but prolly not a good idea. Setup you'd have to work out w/ whomever does the work. You may also find someone offering a multi user VPN environment (each w/ their own dedicated IP) for a little less per month. I run such a service out of Montreal but am shutting it dow this weekn due to lack of interest (even though tons of people were screaming to know when it would be available...I launched...almost nobody moved on it grrrrr).

[ QUOTE ]
4. Is the proxy 100% foolproof and would it be able to avoid detection from poker sites that don't take US players?

[/ QUOTE ]

Proxy, no as per reasons in #1. VPN, yes, but only if set up correctly. The key in VPN setup is proper client-side setup. VPN's go down sometimes (I was up an average of 15-16 days 24/7 before a drop, and would be reconnected within about 30 seconds). Poker clients will automatically attempt to reconnect to the poker site. If the poker client attempts to reconnect to a poker site while the VPN is down (during the 10-30 seconds it will take to reconnect to the VPN) then guess what....it's trying to connect from your real US IP and your Party acct will get insta-locked and you'll have to fight to get *some* of your bankroll back...if you're lucky. This has happened to at least one 2+2er I am aware of....$20k got locked, only $16k was eventually recovered.

VPN will cover the data side, but you still need ID, address, phone#, funding vehicle which may or may not be a problem.

PM me if desired.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Proxy, no as per reasons in #1. VPN, yes, but only if set up correctly. The key in VPN setup is proper client-side setup. VPN's go down sometimes (I was up an average of 15-16 days 24/7 before a drop, and would be reconnected within about 30 seconds). Poker clients will automatically attempt to reconnect to the poker site. If the poker client attempts to reconnect to a poker site while the VPN is down (during the 10-30 seconds it will take to reconnect to the VPN) then guess what....it's trying to connect from your real US IP and your Party acct will get insta-locked and you'll have to fight to get *some* of your bankroll back...if you're lucky. This has happened to at least one 2+2er I am aware of....$20k got locked, only $16k was eventually recovered.

[/ QUOTE ]

only 4k was recovered
Old 01-19-2007, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
only 4k was recovered

[/ QUOTE ]

Damnit....I had a carbon-based storage dyslexic error. I thought it was the other way around. I guess it was wishful thinking.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:25 PM

BiPolar is right, it is fairly easy for an experienced network engineer to setup. But frankly it is beyond the average 2+2 reader. Hire someone, there are a few of us in this forum that would likely entertain a project like this.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:47 AM

Will a VPN work if I can only use port 80. I'm in the UK but the university network seems to block traffic through just about everyport except port 80, I can connect to pokerstars through a proxy but [censored] ongame won't give me that option 'because it's a security risk'.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:05 AM

at a minimum you need port 443 (TLS/encrypyed Web) + 80.

For VPN to work you need TCP port 1723 and IP protocol 47 (GRE)....it either of those are blocked, then a VPM won't work either.

I haven't tried tunneling a VPN connection through SSH but in theory it should work....wtf, I may give that a try for the fark of it. I like tunnels lol.

Do you know if you can SSH to any sites? If so I can prolly set up a tunnel for ya that'd work.

PS...it's Friday night...my suggestions may or may not be valid in the morning. They make sense (to my drunk ass) at the moment tho.

Edit: if ALL you have is port 80 outbound, tunneling through SSH is still an idea....I'll test it out once sober provided I have time.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:33 AM

FTP (port 21) and port 23 are definitely open.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:49 AM

Seems to be working! Browsing around and an option in connect too menu, called a WAN miniport (PPTP) turned it on and everything seems to be working. (I'm not sure how it got there).
Old 01-21-2007, 02:46 AM

BPN,

Regarding trying to spoof one of the banned sites with a VPN, isn't it the case that at least with party which is the most aggressive in intrusion on a customer's computer, that a person using a VPN solution as you advocate would also have to start with a fresh machine? I was under the impression that they collected machine specific info to identify you like your mobo or hdd serial number.