FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Help ItalianFX Choose
Lindsey 29 22.83%
Brittany 11 8.66%
Lindsay 52 40.94%
Renee 35 27.56%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2007, 10:16 AM

Default Re: Poll: best way to determine NCAA Div I Football National Champion?

[ QUOTE ]
1) Put another team in the Big Televen and give them a championship game to balance out that mess.

2) Keep the BCS. Keep the bowls. The conference winners have at it in all the bowl games.

3) After the bowls, do an additional BCS standings.

4) Now select the #1 and #2 teams to play in the NCG.

So, in effect, your bowl games become your playoffs, and the winners can have at it in the championship game. You keep the bowl games so the bowl$$ is fine, and you only add one game to the schedule so it kills the playoffs=too many games argument.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually like this but you know that there will still be controversy with "4) Now select the #1 and #2 teams to play in the NCG." This is still a subjective system where the champion is not determined on the field.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Four team playoff. No more than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-25-2007, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem with having an only 4 team playoff is that there aren't enough major bowl games as this system would yield only 3 major bowls. Currently the BSC has 4 major bowls and then the championship a week later, 5 total major bowls.

[/ QUOTE ]

You keep the current system and make sure 1 plays 4 and 2 plays 3, then you have a title game a week or two later. The other bcs conference/at large teams and games still exist.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:25 AM

8 team playoff. Top 2 teams get a bye to the 3rd round. Teams #3 and #4 get a bye for the first round only. Any undefeated team is guaranteed a spot.

I feel as if this gives us what we want(a champion decided on the field) but still rewards the regular season.

89,850 and counting
Old 11-25-2007, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Four team playoff. No more than that. The number 5 team has not ever (prior to this year) in the history of the BCS had a legitimate claim to the national title in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boise St last year?

89,849 and counting
Old 11-25-2007, 10:57 AM

8 team playoff is my preference, 4 team playoff would be an improvement over what we have now. 16 team playoff is a bit much (the bottom teams mostly wouldn't be able to hang with the top dogs), but it would be entertaining to watch. December madness anyone? I would think the TV networks would lobby for it because of the advertising dollars it would generate. The January 1st bowl game tradition makes little sense as currently constituted, where everyone takes a month off before playing their most important game of the season. A playoff could fill that vacuum nicely.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:01 PM

Apparently, people took my thread to mean something other than what I said. All I meant was: don't count conference championship game losses in a team's total. The end.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Official argue about all dumb things BCS and CFB playoff thread

Nah. I just don't think we need multiple threads to all agree that things as they stand today are messed up. And since that tangent also tends to derail other threads as well, it makes sense to contain it all in one place.

Personally, if ones conference wants the $ of a conference championship game, then they have to live with the losses it creates. Also, it forces teams to play a legit schedule. I mean, KU could've just gone 11-0 playing one "tough" game, on a neutral field vs Mizery.

And, Mizery even if they lose is still likely to get a BCS bid IMO. But certainly who the heck knows anymore.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:11 PM

Since ClarkNasty locked the other thread, I didn't get a chance to respond to this:

Assani [ QUOTE ]
Random question that I don't think deserves its own thread so I'll post it here:

Say that Mizzou and WVU lose. Would you rather tOSU play Hawaii or a 2 loss team in the NT?

89,854 and counting

[/ QUOTE ] Me-[ QUOTE ]

As an Ohio State fan, I would love this to happen. It would be a lock to win the Nat'l Title for us.

[/ QUOTE ]
ClarkNasty-
[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, because tOSU would be huge favorites over say USC or LSU. Oh, wait.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohio State would be a lock over Hawaii, not LSU or USC. I meant to say I'd love for tOSU to play Hawaii.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:40 PM

OK, here is how I would work the system. End the Regular season in the last week in November (cut teams down to a 11 game schedule excluding conference championship games)

First 2 Saturdays in December you play the first 2 rounds at the home field of the higher seed.

On the 2nd Sunday in December (assuming Dec 1st isn't a Sunday) you make bowl selections. All teams who were in the playoffs play in BCS Bowls depending on conference, etc...

Play out the rest of the schedule as it is right now with bowl games going from mid-December to the National Championship game in early January.

Have the actual national championship game where the winner is decided on the field. This also cuts down on the break between the last game and the NC game so you don't have a 3 month layoff like tOSU had last year.