Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 07:35 PM

Default NYU Dave v. NYU Dave 100/200 NL: Two hands.

Villain in this hand is the real NYU Dave (some people mistake me for NYU Dave because my name is David, I also go to NYU, and play high-stakes poker in NYC). The real slim shady is a highly unpredictable player who has been on a massive massive rush lately in the NYC cash games. His confidence, therefore, is at an absolute all-time high.

We are playing 3-handed 100/200 NL. He is playing very solid in this session (and in general as of late), value betting very thinly (have seen him bet middle pair twice correctly v. the third player).

We have a long history and have played each other hundreds of hours. We know each other's games very well. He is capable of absolutely anything at the table, but is IMO too loose preflop and chases weak draws.

Advice on all streets on both hands welcome (I would really like to hear how you would play the ENTIRE hand, as I think I could have played all streets differently).

Effective stacks are 40kish.

Hand 1:
I raise K3hh on the button to 600, SB folds, BB (NYU dave calls).He could literally have any two at this point.

Flop is J93 one heart. He checks I check behind (is this a mistake?). I had been c-betting approximately 70% of hands after the flop in position and had been taking most down on the flop or turn.

Turn is a 3. I now have trips. He leads weak (400). I raise to 1500. Again, I'm really not sure how much merit there is in raising here, but I decided to do so for value, obviously. He calls after not much thought. I have seen him take this weak lead time many times with anything from a draw to a big hand to air trying to steal it cheap.

River is a Q. There is no flush (nor was there any flush draw). However, 108 or the gutter just got there.

He checks. I decide to value bet, I couldn't really decide on a bet size amount (what do people bet here?) but I bet 3500.

He thinks for a while, and pulls out a big stack, and checkraises to 15k. As I am thinking, he says, "the queen didn't help me," and he gets up from the table and says he can't watch and he goes into the smoke room and starts making faces at me.

What do you guys put him on, and can you let this go?

Hand 2:
Again: stacks are approx 40k effective.
NYU Dave raises button to 600 I call from the SB with 86o. This is probably a mistake but I had been playing much tighter preflop than both of these players and the implied odds in this game can be fairly high.

Flop comes out 664 two spades. I have trips. I check, he bets 500, I CR to 2500. He calls after not too much thought. Turn is a Q, non-spade. I bet 5500.

On the turn, I strongly considered check raising very big. I thought there was a reasonable chance my hand would look much more like a draw and he might pay me off wanting to protect his hand. However, I decided to lead (also, was my bet too small?) because he could have a draw and I did not want to give him a free card. He hemms and haws a little bit, and calls.

River is the 9s, completing the flush. What do people like on this river? I decided to check. He thinks for a bit, and bets 8k.

Action?

Again, I'd like to hear advice on all streets for both hands. Obviously, the river decisions on both hands are paramount, but I'd like to hear lines on other streets, as well.

Thanks,
dlpnyc21
Old 05-05-2007, 08:04 PM

Default Re: NYU Dave v. NYU Dave 100/200 NL: Two hands.

Hi Dave,

I think both are calls, though the 2nd one is a lot easier than the 1st one. In order for a good player to have you in hand 2, he needs to have had you beat before the river. Maybe he turned Qs full, but gl to him if that's the case.

Hand 1 is tricky. Raising the turn seems mandatory with a hand that strong, and yet to get action from a tough player, he needs to have something pretty damn good (open-ender or overpair) to give you action, OR you have to be regularly bluff-raising in this spot. I think you probably do, since he can obviously just be taking a stab there after you check behind.

The comments and behavior after the river bet make me want to call. Getting up and leaving, going to smoke and THEN making faces at you shows me that he wasn't comfortable enough to act cool at the table, and needed to get into a less stressful environment to get it together. "The Q didn't help me," isn't a standard comment IMO. When a good player makes a comment that you hear often from less-good players, he's usually employing some kind of fake (or double-fake). But a non-standard comment is less likely to be used this way, and at face value, he seems to be trying to say subtly that he's not bluffing. I think he is.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:08 PM

call the first

decent chance youre behind in the first one, but he could easily have a worse 3 and is vbetting (you say he likes to make thin vbets). i would believe him that the Q didnt hit him. i think he puts you on something like AQ that raised his weak looking bet and is trying to get a lot of value on the river, so he is in turn trying to get big value out of his hand. i dont think hes lying that the queen didnt help him, and it seems like he has a 3 more than a boat because he would probably repop pre or fold more often than not with the possible boat hands.

2nd hand with the way he plays its very tough, but i put him squarely on QQ and not a flush. i suppose this type of player can float you twice and would definitely do it unpredictably, so i think calling is eh, but folding is probably better based on the fact that he acted a bit on the turn, called the flop c/r and made a solid, callable river bet when it doesnt seem like he would have the flush.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:15 PM

oh god, you are such a huge moron. where should i start?

"The real slim shady is a highly unpredictable player who has been on a massive massive rush lately in the NYC cash games. His confidence, therefore, is at an absolute all-time high."

"the real slim shady"? get real you loser. you try to make him and yourself sound so important in these moronic posts all the time i find it laughably absurd but now just annoying. stop trying to make him sound like a crazy villain capable of anything. he's just a rich donk with money so he's in every hand trying to find ways to get rocks who are UNDEROLLED like you to fold best hands.

you seem to have impossible decisions every hand when youre three handed and flop trips with monster kicker against him. i cant wait till you play with real players and you muck 2nd pair constantly when it's good 99% of the time.

i think you're a really awful player and am starting to get sick of these posts making yourself sound like you can actually play b/c you made a couple bucks in the livest game in the country. you would get chewed up by anybody who could really play and seem to already have your hands full with a megadonk in nyudave (i mean "the real slim shady").

get a grip. you're not a cool guy, youre a dork and a lousy poker player.

p.s. i know both these dave cats and have played with them before. i kept quiet for a while but this cats out of control and needs a reality check.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:23 PM

gauch is tough and a winner in difficult hsnl online games, and has always been a super nice guy in my experience.

I don't know the opponent, but I probably call both :/ gotta run to see the fight, but I'll post tomorrow
Old 05-05-2007, 09:33 PM

wow burn
Old 05-05-2007, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
oh god, you are such a huge moron. where should i start?

"The real slim shady is a highly unpredictable player who has been on a massive massive rush lately in the NYC cash games. His confidence, therefore, is at an absolute all-time high."

"the real slim shady"? get real you loser. you try to make him and yourself sound so important in these moronic posts all the time i find it laughably absurd but now just annoying. stop trying to make him sound like a crazy villain capable of anything. he's just a rich donk with money so he's in every hand trying to find ways to get rocks who are UNDEROLLED like you to fold best hands.

you seem to have impossible decisions every hand when youre three handed and flop trips with monster kicker against him. i cant wait till you play with real players and you muck 2nd pair constantly when it's good 99% of the time.

i think you're a really awful player and am starting to get sick of these posts making yourself sound like you can actually play b/c you made a couple bucks in the livest game in the country. you would get chewed up by anybody who could really play and seem to already have your hands full with a megadonk in nyudave (i mean "the real slim shady").

get a grip. you're not a cool guy, youre a dork and a lousy poker player.

p.s. i know both these dave cats and have played with them before. i kept quiet for a while but this cats out of control and needs a reality check.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol...do i know you? what is your name?

oh, HU?
Old 05-05-2007, 09:55 PM

i'm done posting. just wanted to do it once for all the people - and there are a few - who are sick of your unwarranted bragging. quick question btw...why are you so loud online and just stfu whenever anybody sees you in person? nah i'll pass on the HU you're live reads are too "sick" for me. just tone it down it bit bro, please.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm done posting. just wanted to do it once for all the people - and there are a few - who are sick of your unwarranted bragging. quick question btw...why are you so loud online and just stfu whenever anybody sees you in person? nah i'll pass on the HU you're live reads are too "sick" for me. just tone it down it bit bro, please.

[/ QUOTE ]

how is posting two tough hands bragging? i usually don't say much in person, i'm pretty mild mannered--i never really say much...but if there are so many people who are sick of me bragging online just tell me to my face in person or tell me your name if you can call me out in a public forum...
Old 05-05-2007, 10:19 PM

uggh. last post.

1. "how is posting two tough hands bragging?"

dude im obviously referring to more than this one ridiculous post you made.

2. don't worry about a big confrontation with me telling it to your face or playing me HU. just learn to take a little criticism. try to be more humble and tone it down a bit. chit bud...try rereading some of your previous posts and you'll see what im talking about.

signing off...
Closed Thread