Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 02:59 PM

Default Re: 3 betting pf with AK

no i don't think i'm running bad, tough it is possible of course (this is over 100k hands, probably more)

my experience is people are not folding to a c-bet on a non-A/K flop

i was looking at my PT for AK, and my profit comes from 1) scooping it up PF and 2) c-betting an A/K flop.

so that got me wondering, why not 3-bet non-premium stuff instead (54s, etc) since i can rep the A or K without having AK, and stack someone's overpair on 637, 448, etc. flops?

seriously, you guys are getting paid off when you flop an A or K? it happens so rarely for me because it's so easy for villains to get away from their hand.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no i don't think i'm running bad, tough it is possible of course (this is over 100k hands, probably more)

my experience is people are not folding to a c-bet on a non-A/K flop

i was looking at my PT for AK, and my profit comes from 1) scooping it up PF and 2) c-betting an A/K flop.

so that got me wondering, why not 3-bet non-premium stuff instead (54s, etc) since i can rep the A or K without having AK, and stack someone's overpair on 637, 448, etc. flops?

seriously, you guys are getting paid off when you flop an A or K? it happens so rarely for me because it's so easy for villains to get away from their hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends, i think you can open your RRin range from a late position ... but don't go too trigger happy. 3-betting / c-betting light can be *very* expensive ... esp if you're up against a calling station (or people start calling you light).

Rather htan just widely opening your 3-betting range to include 54s ... start more slowly with like, AK, AQ, mid-PPs etc. Look at it this way, when you are playing 3-bet pots, any mistake you make is magnified significantly ... as long as we are playing hands that are ahead of a villian's raising range, then things should be ok for us. Once we start re-raising light, we get into lag territory and need to make sure our reads / hand reading skills are spot on, since further mistakes will cost us dearly.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:23 PM

You 3 bet for FE, to make weak aces pay (which they do i duno wtf ur on u should play more hands), and punish big underpairs, they will have trouble folding them... if you won't 3 bet AK... NIT!!!!!
Old 03-19-2007, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is the typical scenario for me:

i 3bet, flop comes A or K, i don't get action unless crushed

i 3bet, flop comes no A or K, people rarely fold (good bye big ass c-bet)

i 3 bet, flop comes AQJ, i get raised (if i cbet)

why am i 3-betting AK?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly how I feel, I know I am wasting a ton of money 3 betting AK otb or oop either way I am constantly facing the same problem of constantly feeling like I am spewing because my cbets in these flops when I miss are constantly pushed over the top of and I am just burning like 50% of a stack everytime I do this. It's getting really expensive and Im coming to the point where I do not 3 bet AK all that often.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:22 PM

this can be very read dependent

basically, mixing up your play to some degree is key.

(most of this advice will be in the frame of being OOP because that's more often the case)

i will rarely cbet a K or A high flop though. check it and you'll be able to vbet the [censored] out of TT on turn and river

on non A/K flops, you need to learn when to cbet and when not to. but a lot of it has to do with who villain is. most 50nl randoms call 3bets way way too light, so practice pot control with what is ~50% the best hand and check some 238 flops. then lead some turns that may have given villain a draw, or if you feel he may call with AQ/AJ or something. but dont be afraid to c/f turn either if board is like 2382. you're never getting bluff there, so let him have your $6.50 and move on.

do be willing to 2barrel some boards though.

flop is J74, that's a great spot to look to 2barrel. ducy?