Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2007, 06:40 PM

Default HSP: Benyamine vs. Esfandiari

This week's hand between Benyamine and Esfandiari was the best yet on HSP IMO. I have a strategy question re: this hand. Why did Benyamine just call Esfandiari's final turn raise instead of pushing. To me it was clear he was willing to get all his chips in in the hand, so why not push then? What advantage does calling give him?

I heard Negreneau say "now it makes sense why you just called" after the hand, but no reason was stated. The only thing I can think of in retrospect is that Benyamine was thinking if a scare (straight/flush) card came off on the river, he may not lose any more money if Esfandiari had a set or better two pair.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:59 PM

Default Re: HSP: Benyamine vs. Esfandiari

benyamine loves the call button fold and raise buttons arent near as large on his computer monitor or live poker brain
Old 04-13-2007, 07:26 PM

I am not a big NL guy but this really seems just plain bad to me, for the obvious reasons.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:42 PM

the table talk that was going on the whole time also seemed retarded
Old 04-13-2007, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the table talk that was going on the whole time also seemed retarded

[/ QUOTE ]

lol ya i was suprised when benyamine wouldnt shut his yapper.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:43 PM

can someone please say what the hand was
Old 04-13-2007, 07:48 PM

this is from memory but its something liek this. im prob gonna [censored] action totally up but ull get the general idea.

benyamine raises j2o preflop(2300), esfandiari calls with 34 spades. Flop A9J. David bets, esfandiari calls. Turn 2. David bets, like 10-15k(??) esfandiari thinks forever and raises. David then makes a smallish reraise. Esfandiari tanks again and makes it like 40k on top, but im not sure exact numbers. benyamine is talking this whole time then tanks and calls. river brings 8 of clubs or something, completing backdoor flush. goes check check
Old 04-13-2007, 07:48 PM

some1 else will have to get the raise sizes since i think im way off
Old 04-13-2007, 07:53 PM

The obv reason for david just calling is because he checked blind and there were many draws on board including the flush which hit the river. So if he felt he was beat by a better two pair or set, by checking the river blind he might get a showdown for free. The flush hitting the river in my opinion cost esfandiari the pot because he couldnt bluff that river card, i think even the commentators said something similar.

Also if he felt he was good he might have been letting esfandiari continue his bluff.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:54 PM

Grim,

The hand was raised by Benya pre-flop with J2 not sooted. Antonio calledin position with 53 or 43 sooooted. Flop is AJ9. Benya bet; Antonio floated. Turn is a 2 that also put two clubs on board. Benya met. Antonio raised it with his monsterous deceptive gutshot. Benya mini re-raised. During this whole hand, Benya was talking about peaches and cream. This must've tilted Antonio because he went on to level everyone and even himself with another mini re-raised. Benya called and checked in the dark. River is another club. Antonio GAVE UP.

One thing I do not get: Antonio asked Benya how much he has left and Benya said 140k, I thought to myself "wow, that's almost perfect for a river shove." Then Antonio leveled me by not calling and putting in another small raise and bloating the pot and lowered his FE by a whooooooooooole lot.