Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 05:29 AM

Default Staking Questions

Hi, I've posted this from an anonymous account, because I don't want this to come across as me begging for a staker.

However, there's a lot of talk on these forums about staking etc, yet there isn't much information for people who might be looking for a staker, so I thought I'd ask a few questions to get some information out there.

In General I'm talking online, although I guess big live events like the WSOP could be discussed too. Online events which most people would want staking for would be things like the sunday majors, the WCOOP/FTOPS and maybe the 1k, or 109 rebuy.

So...

1. Where would you ask for a staker? Is it possible to do this on these forums?

2. What are stakers looking for in terms of results? ROI? Playing at reasonably high stakes?

3. How can you build enough trust for a staking relationship with someone you only know over the internet?

4. What kind of deal do people normally have?

I'd also be interested to hear from stakers/stakees who have some experience of all of this.

Thanks,

Also. If this thread isn't allowed or appropriate, my apologies and please lock/delete.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:36 AM

Default Re: Staking Questions

[ QUOTE ]
1. Where would you ask for a staker? Is it possible to do this on these forums?

[/ QUOTE ]I have also been wondering about this one. I know you're not supposed to solicit on these forums, but it seems like a ton of people have backing for the bigger buyins at least.

I tried one of the staking sites and it seems like nobody gets any action until they're known on said site (i.e. have to get staked at small stakes a few times).
Old 10-23-2007, 10:14 AM

What seems fairly clear to me is the fact that a lot of the regulars on MTTC are a fairly closeknit bunch. They keep on contact via AIM; meet up at live events; etc, etc. As such:

- I would assume that when the likes of Timex decides to stake someone he either knows them himself; or knows someone who knows them.

- He either hears directly or indirectly that they are interested in a stake.

- And is aware of their online record; as seen enough of their play or posts first hand to decide that taking them on is plus EV for himself and the stakee.

Or I could be way off. But in the most basic terms, I am under the impression that people only pump money into players that they figure to be talented - and also to be of a trustworthy nature. So if you don't have many friends that play poker or stake poker at a high level - word won't, you know, get around naturally like it needs to before someone will approach you.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:25 AM

LucKyLloyd kind of hit the nail on the head here.

To be honest, a lot of this comes down to reputation, your posting in strategy forums, your results, and connections.

At this stage i've started making recommendations to stakers about who i think is a talented player they should consider staking.

Gain peoples respect and staking will often follow.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gain peoples respect and make yourself visible and staking will often follow.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-23-2007, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Gain peoples respect and make yourself visible and staking will often follow.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea actually that's quite true as well.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:52 PM

There are online staking communities out there. Check 'em out and get a feel for the options available if you don't have relationships with people already who stake.

You want to just be honest and put your availablity and experience into those communities, but do it in a cordial manner. Eagerness sets off warning bells. Just ease yourself in, play well, and gain trust. Refrain yourself from extreme requests and just learn. You'll find out ways for you to make your money work for you while playing for other people.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:34 AM

i staked this guy whiffer1982 and he stole my money/ never played. he posts on 2+2 often. his name is TheAids on stars, if u ever see him, tell hime he's a degenrate gambler who needs help and cant feed his family.