Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Re: This forum has 3 months to live without a split

Not at all, I'm just tossing out facts. Traffic is a consideration for the owners though.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:53 PM

If we split then we dont have any more of these threads right?

Gogogogogogogogogo splitaments.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:54 PM

chop chop
Old 11-19-2007, 02:58 PM

Another reason I would be in favor of a split is that the correct advice for a question in a 25NL game can be quite different than if the same question were asked in a 600NL context. In other words, advice for a specific situation is better answered by someone who plays the same limit and therefore understands the play at that level.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:02 PM

I actually think you would get a lot more combined traffic if you split the forums. It seems like 90 percent of the people would view the forums more if it was split and would post/view more if it was infact split. It seems like everyone is getting fed up with the forums without a split, and rightfully.

Lowestakes players would post more hands because they wouldn't be afraid of being made fun of.

Medium/High stake players would post more hands because they would get input from players who play at a similar level and it would generate a lot better discussion.

I don't see how traffic would go down if we split the forums. If we split the forums and you took the combined traffic from the lowstake/medium/high stake full ring forums, I think it would drastically improve, not go down.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:35 PM

I was against a split the last 2 times, but now think we are ready.

There have been a few more 400+ players contributing - and I do think this would grow with time.

Traffic is obviously a consideration - without it a forum withers on the vine. If the split happened too soon, this may well have happened. I think contributor numbers are now high enough to make this happen.

I vote for 200+ as the split point ( I will probably post in both).

As for dying in 3 months, it won't. It just won't serve the purpose you want it to.

And the 600+ forum? It will be a lonely place EPipen, but if you like tumbleweed....Seriously, that will take a year or so, but you'll get better quality in the interim in 200+

I still think it is a relatively close decision, but on balance I'm for the split.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:43 PM

When this came up last month I didn't really care if it was split. I now think it should be split.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually think you would get a lot more combined traffic if you split the forums. It seems like 90 percent of the people would view the forums more if it was split and would post/view more if it was infact split. It seems like everyone is getting fed up with the forums without a split, and rightfully.

Lowestakes players would post more hands because they wouldn't be afraid of being made fun of.

Medium/High stake players would post more hands because they would get input from players who play at a similar level and it would generate a lot better discussion.

I don't see how traffic would go down if we split the forums. If we split the forums and you took the combined traffic from the lowstake/medium/high stake full ring forums, I think it would drastically improve, not go down.

[/ QUOTE ]

agree
Old 11-19-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This forum has 3 months to live without a split

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

FRNL is a solid performer when compared to strat forums as a whole. However, it is still easily the smallest no limit forum.

As I write this:

High Stakes (99 viewing)
Medium Stakes (100 viewing)
Small Stakes (121 viewing)
Micro Stakes (65 viewing)
Full Ring (51 viewing)

Obv this is not the best metric to use and it is very flawed but I think it gives us a reasonable ballpark.

I'm sure FRNL will inevitably be split my worry is that doing so prematurely will result in two small forums that won't have the critical mass required to remain vibrant.

The complaint is that there are too many threads of various levels to keep up with. However, I think this is a straw man as the reality is that we're averaging less than 50 new threads a day (usually around 40) and all threads are labeled as to level (those that aren't I routinely edit to comply).

In addition, the claim is made that splitting the forum will cause a migration of players over from MSNL/HSNL who have not wanted to sully themselves by associating with the great unwashed. I find that a dubious claim, at best.

The reason small stakes and micro stakes full ring players flocked to FRNL is that they were such a small minority in SSNL/uNL and very marginalized. If full ring players do not feel that way in MSNL/HSNL there's very little impetus for them to switch. At least not for a very long time until the full ring forum(s) establish themselves as an attractive alternative. I don't think that's predicated on a split - A new, empty forum isn't going to do it either.

Threads started in the last week:

400NL - 8
200NL - 30
100NL - 47
50NL - 70
25NL - 36
10NL - 19
5NL - 3
Live - 8

I would think that a split would be at 100NL for two reasons. To follow the precedent set by the SSNL/uNL split and to ensure a reasonable split of traffic among the new forums.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Threads started in the last week:

400NL - 8
200NL - 30
100NL - 47
50NL - 70
25NL - 36
10NL - 19
5NL - 3
Live - 8

[/ QUOTE ]I don't think this is a good measuring tool either. A lot of $200+ regulars say that they'd post alot more if the forum was split. Mr. Donk and SABR42 come to mind but there have been many more that have said the same.