Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2006, 10:16 PM

Default Help! table just shrank, how to play A/K from SB after PFR?

Had only played a couple of orbits when the 9-max table shrunk to 6-max and this hand came up. I don't play 6-max and in 10-max I rarely re-raise with A/K PF unless I have a pretty good read on the original PFRaiser (which I didn't here). So I just called PF.

I'm interested in feedback on all streets.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($132.35)
UTG ($39)
MP ($171.05)
CO ($80.55)
Button ($99.95)
Hero ($98.20)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $5</font>, Hero calls $4.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($11) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $16</font>, Hero calls $8.

Getting over 4:1 here, so I just called the MR, although I'm no longer sure I want to see an A or a diamond. Anyone fold here?

Turn: ($43) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: ($43) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $25</font>, Button calls $25.

I bet here thinking that his min-raise on the flop, especially when followed by the turn check, could be a diamond draw that missed. Anybody think this isn't worth taking a shot at?

Final Pot: $93

Thanks,

ts-
Old 07-03-2006, 10:21 PM

Default Re: Help! table just shrank, how to play A/K from SB after PFR?

The turn check could also mean pot control w/AQ here. Preflop (I play shorthanded), I really like to reraise from sb w/AK. It would give a lot more credibility to your flop raise.

To be more specific about the river, I think that against many villains at NL100, they will call with whatever hand that beats you and fold otherwise. Many villain will think here you're trying to represent the 10 and put you on the bulff.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet here thinking that his min-raise on the flop, especially when followed by the turn check, could be a diamond draw that missed. Anybody think this isn't worth taking a shot at?

[/ QUOTE ]
Why would you lead the river when you think he has a busted draw? You beat busted draws so just check/call if that is what you really think he has.

As the hand was played, I don't mind the flop lead to try to steal the pot but once he raises, I'm done. I probably would have just check/folded the flop though.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:43 PM

ts,

ummm....riiiighhtt

rr preflop (also, I suggest doing this in 10 max too)

Don't bet the flop...just c/f it

fold to the minraise

c/f river
Old 07-04-2006, 12:52 AM

I don't PFRR in the blinds right now with A/K because I'm never sure how to play it against a player that I have no read or stats on. but let's say I do PFRR here to $14 or so, and the villian calls. pot is $28 on the same flop and I CB it for $17 and get minraised - do you fold then? at that point I'd have about $65 left at that point and after his minraise, the pot would be at $79. do you call and go into C/F mode on turn and river?

ts-
Old 07-04-2006, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you lead the river when you think he has a busted draw? You beat busted draws so just check/call if that is what you really think he has.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're absolutely right, I didn't think it through and I guess I wasn't that confident in my read. poor thinking + stupid bet = donk = me

ts-