Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 05:07 PM

Default Re: LC - Why don\'t you play 6 max ?

One thing that really bothers me reading this thread is that everyone keeps talking about "playing looser" at 6 max. TBH I think I play a little tighter at 6max then I would at full ring if the first 3 players had folded. Stealing blinds is WAY easier at full ring.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:47 PM

I think that to become a top FR player you really need to put in a good amount of time playing 6-max. Learning when and how to steal properly with or without cards. How to play in position and how to play out of position with weak/strong hands, you run into some many more tricky situations. Profitability i would say definetly runs on the side of FR althought i have more experience with SH the number of buy-ins you'll loose can just get ugly, i found myself monthly taking 3-6 day breaks.
So i would say to any aspiring players, learn the very basics at Limit FR, teach yourself to NL at FR NL Micro, learn to play real poker at Short Handed, then start to collect the cheques at FR NL.

Warrant
Old 08-20-2007, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that to become a top FR player you really need to put in a good amount of time playing 6-max. Learning when and how to steal properly with or without cards. How to play in position and how to play out of position with weak/strong hands, you run into some many more tricky situations. Profitability i would say definetly runs on the side of FR althought i have more experience with SH the number of buy-ins you'll loose can just get ugly, i found myself monthly taking 3-6 day breaks.
So i would say to any aspiring players, learn the very basics at Limit FR, teach yourself to NL at FR NL Micro, learn to play real poker at Short Handed, then start to collect the cheques at FR NL.

Warrant

[/ QUOTE ]

minus the learning of limit...i rly aggree with this post. my FR game wud b sloppy as hell if i didnt go thru 50K hands of 6max
Old 08-20-2007, 06:16 PM

I started playing 6max during the last few months, just for like 4 - 5 sessions (2h each) a weak. But all what was said here applies for me, too. Though you can really make some good money there, the variance is just SO SICK! Multitabling is a problem, cheers to eveyone who plays more than 4 - 6 tables of 6max. My head busts if I play more than three. On the other hand, I don't play more than 5 tables FR, too. I play very laggish, that might be the reason there....

P.S.: To make this really sick: I'm having a really good WR at Omaha6max, but seem to suck horribly at PLO FR...
Old 08-20-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing that really bothers me reading this thread is that everyone keeps talking about "playing looser" at 6 max. TBH I think I play a little tighter at 6max then I would at full ring if the first 3 players had folded. Stealing blinds is WAY easier at full ring.

[/ QUOTE ]Not everyone- I made this same point [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also prefer to play a TAG game and my opinion is that 6-max is more suited to a LAG player.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not necessarily true. What you define a TAG as in FR is different than what you would define a TAG as in 6max. A tag in FR maybe running stats of 15/8 where at 6max a TAG can be defined as 24/18 in 6max. Now someone running stats of 24/18 you might define as a LAG in FR but this is definitely not the case with 6max. A LAG in 6max will run stats of 35/26.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play full ring whenever I feel like turning off my mind and just going on autopilot 9+ tabling while watching TV,

[/ QUOTE ]

9 tabling... 10-11 tables... Yikes! I'm singling and still learning the NLFR game. LHE I used to 6 table, can't imagine 9 at NL. Just use teh Bet The Pot button, slide or type in bets?

Congratz to you gamers...
Old 08-20-2007, 09:23 PM

ENO9 I type in my big bets and just click on the slider for preflop raises and c-bets.

To everybody saying the variance is sick in 6 max I can say with lots of experience that playing a nitty 19/8 style is pretty variance free as long as you don't suck postflop. The more aggressive you play the more variance you have. You pretty much pick how much variance you have by what kind of style you play.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:36 PM

playing 19/8 at six max might be low variance but it's gonna be low profit too at any reasonable stakes
Old 08-20-2007, 10:40 PM

I mean at $50NL and under, above that you need to step it up. I should have mentioned that in my OP, my b.