Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 03:01 PM

Default AA vs Bigredclown

I thought my play was pretty standard but after talking with a good reg he really dislikes it.

No real history but villian is LAG at around 26/18/2. His aggression stat on PT seems low considering how aggro people think he is.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1315788

At 100 BBs i think this is a standard shove. 130 deep im not so sure. I think his C/R range is relatively wide because we are this deep and that it would look weak on this board.

If i flat here i think its an easy shove over a blank turn if he leads. The problem i see with flatting is that there are a lot of bad turn cards.

so how do you play (if there is any difference):

1) 100 deep

2) 130 deep
Old 07-30-2007, 03:04 PM

Default Re: AA vs Bigredclown

Don't like shove.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:29 PM

I actually have villain with a AF of over 3, with 4/3.2/1 for flop/turn/river respectively, so he def has air/draws a fair amount here.

100bb a shove is obv standard, but at 130bb deep, i like call and get it in on a safe turn. I think you could also make a small 3-bet to like $280 to induce him to shove with a draw or 10-9 etc. But calling is prob best.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:41 PM

i don't think i shove the flop even with 100BB stacks, i would call flop and shove on good turn cards. with 130 BB i don't think i would even shove the turn, i would just evaluate the board and his bets as they came out, and usually try to get to showdown. vs guys like this it's good to let him keep betting, overaggression is his weakness, but that doesn't mean he's going to CALL allin with not much.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:08 PM

just to add something not already said. you def need to check behind here.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:25 PM

check behind?
Old 07-30-2007, 11:48 PM

BigRedClown is aggressive, his c/r range here will be something like 79s 68s 8Ts 66 88 TT for the honest hands and 67s 78s 89s J9s A9hh Ajhh AQhh QJhh KJhh KQhh so that's roughly 17 times you're behind and 18 times you're ahead. There's 23 cards that can fall on the turn that change that ratio in his favour, so 33% of the time on the turn he's beating you more often than not. If the turn comes just blank and he still leads into you with the same range shoving will be -EV since you'll be picking up a pot of ~$500 ~17 times and losing your stack of ~$1140 18 times. You so you have to call, but then the river brings another bad card 33%.

So only win this the 18 times you were ahead that miss twice (0.77 * 0.77) 60%, so 18 * 0.6, 11 times, you lose the other 7 times he was behind and caught up and the 17 times he was ahead anyway, so 11 vs 24, 1/3.

You could also win it even less when the board blanks twice and he makes a good bluff on the river. If he plays a strategy to just bluff with AJhh AQhh KJhh KQhh, he's only bluffing 4 times to the 17 he's got the goods and you don't have the pot odds to call a river bet.

So can avoid all this bad situation by checking behind and just losing some slight value from Tx hands. His turn bets are going to be well balanced too, but more worse hands in them and you only have to have one more street blank in that situation too, both favourable for you.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:36 AM

i dont think i like a flop check Jay. For a start hes not going to be CRing us every hand he gets and may flat call with hands such as J,10ss that were ahead of.

Even when he does C/R then we can flat as we should still be ahead of his range and get it in on a safe turn. Also if were checking behind with AA and KK here there are a lot of bad turns which will mean us having to call down not knowing where we are.

If we are just flatting his C/R with AA then what are we doing with 7,5hh or A,Khh? If we choose to flat with AA then dont we also have to flat with big draws too?

I think that if flatting is the optimal play then at least some of the time i will need to shove with AA to make up for the times i overbet shove the flop with a big draw.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:44 AM

OP do you check behind here reasonably often with air? Just because if you don't I could def see Clown CRing here with 2 random cards, sometimes.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:41 AM

well i *may* check behind with air like 3% of the time but its going to air with potential. i cbet this flop 97% of the time.

Clown could be C/R with air (usually i missed low pocket pair i'd imagine).