Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2006, 05:07 PM

Default Re: running in circles

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also I agree with you about the river "blocking bet"

[/ QUOTE ]

What is a blocking bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

in NL, when you think you might have the best hand, you can make a moderately small bet on the river. to your opponent, it might look like you're trying to sell a strong hand, when in reality you're just trying to prevent him from making an even bigger bet.

here what i mean is that i'm betting because i think i get more value from him calling with worse hands than i would from him betting worse hands if i check
Old 04-12-2006, 05:09 PM

I'd bet/fold turn. Not sure what the benefit is to your river play, I guess its possible he folds a better hand.

-DeathDonkey
Old 04-13-2006, 10:28 AM

About river:

I've plugged some numbers into Jared's calculator (estimating we're ahead in around 20%, beating low pockets and some A-high and K-high hands) and it seems check/folding is slightly better than check/calling (both around +1.1BB) and you need your opponent to fold 10% of his better hands to make it equally profitable as the former two.

-pix
Old 04-13-2006, 12:43 PM

Are you CR this flop with air often? If not then I think I like c/c flop turn and betting river as a general line barring no scare cards roll off.

However I dont like the river bet much. A weaker hand is not calling river and I dont think you have much folding equity at all. Perhaps against a nine but how often is he going to have a nine here and fold to your bet? Not much IMO. So i think i am leaning towards check folding river as weak as that seems. It will set up the opportunity for future river sexies though which are always fun [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]